Automotive News & Other Vehicle Discussions A forum for discussions pertaining to other vehicles other than Hyundai's, Press Releases, new model lauches and general Automotive news.

Kia Stinger GT

Old 01-09-2017, 06:03 AM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis 2.0T
Default Kia Stinger GT

This Is the Gorgeous, Rear-Wheel Drive Kia Stinger GT

A great name, 365 horsepower, and it looks great. A winner from Kia.

In what has to be a surprise, the best part of Kia's new performance sedan isn't that it's rear-wheel drive, isn't that it's beautiful, and not that it has 365 horsepower. It's the name. The name rocks.

In a world where everyone is going to alphanumerics and boredom, Kia is calling a car the Stinger. Stinger. Yes, it's the same as a name for a car from GTA 5, but that doesn't really matter. It's not a jumble of letters and numbers that mean nothing.

And the car itself looks pretty damn good too. The Stinger GT is somewhat similar in intent to a BMW 4-series GranCoupe, but it looks better. Look at those lines, it's aggressive and svelte, and the rear-end with its connected taillights looks even better. It's the sort of appearance you'd expect from BMW or Audi, not Kia. Yes, parts of it are derivative, but that's because the man in charge of design at Hyundai/Kia is Peter Schreyer, a former Audi man himself.

And it's what you'd hope Cadillac would build. Except they haven't.

Inside, it looks very Mercedes-y, with HVAC vents on the center console and a screen all on its own. The wheel is reminiscent of a BMW. Sure seems like a step up from anything else that Kia has done.

Of course, what really matters is how it drives. It sounds like that'll be the best part. It's powered by a 3.3 liter, twin-turbo V6 that has 365 horsepower and 376 lb-ft of torque. That goes through an eight-speed auto (no manual, sorry), which gets it to 60 in 5.1 seconds. Not too bad. And, of course, it's rear-wheel drive. There will probably be a lower power version coming too, for those people that want the looks but can't afford it.

We're yet to see if it's great to drive, but judging on the emphasis Kia has put on this car's Nurburgring performance, we're cautiously optimistic that it'll be competitive with others in its class.

We're yet to see it in person, but color us smitten. We'll have a more in-depth look at the car when we see it on the floor of the Detroit Auto Show tomorrow.

Source: http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-show...ia-stinger-gt/
Old 01-09-2017, 01:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2013 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 Sedan

Cool machine. Looks like a possible shared platform with the new Genesis G70 Sport, 3.3L 365 HP V6.
Old 01-09-2017, 06:34 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

That's a pretty slick car. Needs a manual though.
Old 01-10-2017, 06:36 AM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis 2.0T

Estimated price is to be around $52K
Old 01-10-2017, 09:59 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 01 Tiburon Turbo, 99 Tiburon F2E, 2013 Avalon XLE Touring

That's way above what I'd pay for a KIA at this point in time. They still need to build a name for themselves before creating luxury status cars. The ugly old badge on the front needs to go.

No manual is fine with me when buying an upscale vehicle. I have paddle shifters in my Avalon and love them, if only they'd shift a bit quicker. If they include paddles in this KIA, and are controlling a much quicker trans, then I'd be completely ok with not having a manual option.
Old 01-10-2017, 11:08 AM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

Originally Posted by Visionz
Estimated price is to be around $52K
I believe that's a direct exchange rate conversion from European pricing, it'll be less here.

Probably still pretty expensive for a KIA though.
Old 01-10-2017, 03:59 PM

Vehicle: '12 Boston Red Veloster

I like the Optima's especially the turbo editions. But I still dont know if I would pay 40 to 50 stacks for a Kia.
Old 01-10-2017, 04:04 PM

Vehicle: 2009 Hyundai Sonata

If they can keep the price down to upper 30s I think they will have a big win with this.