Braking, Wheels, Tires, Suspension Modifications to Brake Rotors, Calipers, Wheels, Tires, Springs, Struts, Coilovers, Swaybars, Strut Tower Braces, etc.

Can chrome lips be repaired?

Old 11-30-2016, 03:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 1998 Tibby
Default Can chrome lips be repaired?

I lightly curbed one of my wheels, which have chrome lips. I know with painted or powdercoated wheels, they can be fixed easily by wheel shops. Does anyone know if chrome wheels be fixed easily too or should I buy a new wheel? The place where I bought them has only one in stock and said they would sell it to me cheap. Thinking it might be easier to do that then to have a shop try and repair it.
Old 12-01-2016, 06:23 AM

Vehicle: MC + RD2 + AW11 + 944 = 4x Win

Buying one will be cheaper. Chrome can't even be done in most of the US due to epa regs, and any places that do cost you an arm and a leg. For any chrome needs going forward I'm using the paint methods. Yes it's fake, but if done right it looks legit and is much stronger.

For my money I'd get it fixed, paint it and keep it as a spare.
Old 12-01-2016, 06:51 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 01 Tiburon Turbo, 99 Tiburon F2E, 2013 Avalon XLE Touring

^^^Can you share your chrome painting suggestions? I need to refinish my EVO badges since they're no longer made. I tried the chrome spray paint years ago and it looked like crap.
Old 12-01-2016, 08:16 AM

Vehicle: MC + RD2 + AW11 + 944 = 4x Win

Originally Posted by JonGTR
^^^Can you share your chrome painting suggestions? I need to refinish my EVO badges since they're no longer made. I tried the chrome spray paint years ago and it looked like crap.

There are a few products, just recalling a couple off the top of my head: krometics and chromeit. It's less a rattle can or traditional paint option but more of a chemical process. I was popular in the early 2000s or panting full cars:

Some of the better paint shops can do this and are very familiar with the process. Many years ago I helped a friend remake a bumper for his Impala out of fiberglass and had this done. Not necessarily cheap, but less so than chrome. Maybe around the cost of the new kockoff wheel. And it can be sealed with traditional clear coat for extra protection.