Hyundai Accent Forum The Hyundai Accent Forum. Hyundai's little champ. While the Hyundai Accent and Hyundai Excel may be small, they respond very well to aftermarket modifications and is among the favorites for Hyundai tuners.

1998 Hyundai Accent 1.3 L carb settings

Old 11-19-2016, 10:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 1998 Hyundai Accent 130 XS
Default 1998 Hyundai Accent 1.3 L carb settings

I have a 1998 Hyundai Accent with a 1.3L carb engine. I had done 289 000 kms since new and had the engine overhauled. So thats taken car of. The only left is the carb. I am thinking of changing it out with a new however the agents have to import direct from Hyundai and the cost is very very high. Its also hard to source a good condition low mileage one nearby. The reason why i am looking to replace the car is the fact that my car fuel usage seems very high. I am sad about that due to the fact of spending lots of money to have it overhauled. I am geting 25km to 4 litres of petrol. I know the car is not new but was not heavy as this before I overhauled. Compared to cars new on the market today that give one 100kms / 4 L. Anything better than what i have would be great.

So before I start my major search for a new carb i would like to try and make some agjustments with the fuel on the carb. I have already tackled a high rev issue by adjusting the fast idle adjustment screw. So looking at a diagram of the carb which is the same in the hyundai excel there seems to be a remainder of 5 adjustment screws. There is an throttle adjustment screw, a mixture screw and then 3 screws that are identified as idle speed adjusting screws (SAS1, SAS2 and SAS3).

I am basically looking for anyone to tell me which screws to adjust and how to go about doing so. Just a note that the plugs are burning well and the car goes fine with no misfires. I think the problem is not in the running about with the car but rather when starting from cold it seems to rev quite high for a lenghty period until the warmed up mark on the dial is reached. As soon as I start when its cold exhaust fumes give me an indication that its burning rich and few puffs of black smoke shoot off now and again. However when warmed up all is fine. So i think half of my fuel is used by the car when starting cold and waiting for the engine to warm up. Any input is welcomed guys regarding the carb and what can be done. Should i adjust and if nothing get it serviced.
Old 11-28-2016, 03:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 1998 Hyundai Accent 130 XS

Originally Posted by Greg1976
I have a 1998 Hyundai Accent with a 1.3L carb engine. I had done 289 000 kms since new and had the engine overhauled. So thats taken car of. The only left is the carb. I am thinking of changing it out with a new however the agents have to import direct from Hyundai and the cost is very very high. Its also hard to source a good condition low mileage one nearby. The reason why i am looking to replace the car is the fact that my car fuel usage seems very high. I am sad about that due to the fact of spending lots of money to have it overhauled. I am geting 25km to 4 litres of petrol. I know the car is not new but was not heavy as this before I overhauled. Compared to cars new on the market today that give one 100kms / 4 L. Anything better than what i have would be great.

So before I start my major search for a new carb i would like to try and make some agjustments with the fuel on the carb. I have already tackled a high rev issue by adjusting the fast idle adjustment screw. So looking at a diagram of the carb which is the same in the hyundai excel there seems to be a remainder of 5 adjustment screws. There is an throttle adjustment screw, a mixture screw and then 3 screws that are identified as idle speed adjusting screws (SAS1, SAS2 and SAS3).

I am basically looking for anyone to tell me which screws to adjust and how to go about doing so. Just a note that the plugs are burning well and the car goes fine with no misfires. I think the problem is not in the running about with the car but rather when starting from cold it seems to rev quite high for a lenghty period until the warmed up mark on the dial is reached. As soon as I start when its cold exhaust fumes give me an indication that its burning rich and few puffs of black smoke shoot off now and again. However when warmed up all is fine. So i think half of my fuel is used by the car when starting cold and waiting for the engine to warm up. Any input is welcomed guys regarding the carb and what can be done. Should i adjust and if nothing get it serviced.

Okay I have identified the screws myself through searching for a new carb and found a diagram and part numbers and descriptions for each component that gave me an idea whats what.

I'll just leave it here for anyone else that maybe have the same question.

1) Left side of carb is trottle position screw.

2) In the rear middle There two screws one long with plastic head that heads to the governer is for engine speed adjustment. The other screw is short in the same line but below on the base of the carb. Thats the air / fuel mixture screw.

3) The coming over to the throttle body the is the carb speed adjust screw closed to the right side of the carb. These house two screws of idle speed. The idle throttle plate adjustment screw and the idle mixture screw.

4) Thereafter mounted to that also on the right side of the carb are two fast idle adjustment screws.

5) A lastly is a screw on the fixture where the trottle cable comes over and clips. That is also regarded an idle adjustment screw that pushed onto a plate that goes and adjusts the fast idle anyways.

And that about it! Hope this helps another person.

One questions I just need answered or rather maybe confirmation. When turning the air / mixture screw inwards (clockwise) I have heard that is adjusts the air and please confirm for me while you do that the fuel is being adjusted ?

Yes some cars have a seperate air screw and a different fuel screw. This one has one and calls itself air fuel mixture screw. Originally i had been two turns out. Am half a turn out now and I am idling fine and fuel usage has been better. plugs are not dry fouled or wet. Burning nice and clean and the revs are down not so much by adv or retard the dizzy but by adjusting the idle speed screws that where way way out and then fine adjustment on the fast idle screws. No more black smoke I guess that was due to the idle mixture too far out together with the idle throttle plate adjustment. Also the car warms up quicker now.
Old 11-28-2016, 10:32 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

I'm glad you're making progress but I'm sorry to say you may not get much help on it. Your car can still drive just fine, but carburetors are foreign beasts to most of the members here. Good luck and thanks for posting an update.