HELP Forum Car won't start, Spark Plug Melted? Car throwing sparks down as you drive down the road? Ask your car questions here.

Stop lights not working - But swittch is OK

Old 10-22-2016, 04:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2007 Hyundai Tuscon
Default Stop lights not working - But swittch is OK

The stop lights have stopped working on my 2007 Tucson. I'm posting here because I don't this this is really vehicle specific.

I've had the switch out and it tests OK. I adjusted it to make absolutely sure that the pedal is leaving a gap when pressed. The fuse is OK and Cruise kicks out as soon as I touch the pedal.

The ESC OFF light has been on for months and as it's a feature that I don't care about, I haven't bothered tracing that down. The ESC OFF light goes off when the car is started but comes on immediately I touch the brake. SO.. further evidence that the switch is outputting power.

Since there are 3 stop lights, the white wire from the switch must split into 3 at some point so somewhere. Between that junction and the switch I suspect that there is a break!

Anybody know where I should be looking? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am a bit too big and aged to stand on my head, working under the dash for long and removing the driving seat??? Air bags!! That's a lot of work!

Thanks,
Old 10-22-2016, 07:26 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Vehicle: '14 Ford F-150

Make sure you don't have two brake switches. Many cars have one for the lights and one for cruise control.
Old 10-23-2016, 12:51 AM

Arron,

They are combined, switch is double pole - both sides are working. Location is too tight for me to test for out put current but the cruise does kick off and the ESC module sees the pedal depressed.

What the wiring diagrams (courtesy of AutoZone) don't tell me is where the wires are run within the car. I need to find a point where they "Y" off and test for power - I don't expect to find it - so I will work backwards. Worst case (maybe not) is to run a new wire!

If it was a 70's vehicle, I would climb underneath. But much more common nowadays to run this wiring under the carpet. Either down the tunnel or even down the inside of the sill. Maybe even IN the tunnel!

I don't want to start tearing up carpet without knowing where to look!!
Old 10-23-2016, 01:48 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Vehicle: '14 Ford F-150

Have you tested for power at the sockets? I've seen cars blow all of the bulbs at the same time.
Old 10-23-2016, 12:06 PM

FIVE bulbs!

Got to be a break somewhere - I may have to climb back under and apply power to verify. But I think I'll start by looking under the trunk and spare wheel.
Old 10-23-2016, 01:34 PM

WOW!!!

Found a different schematic for this switch! Chiltern says terminals 2-3 for the stop light and 1-4 for the cruise! Had climb back under shorted 2-3 and ---- LIGHTS WORK!!!

So IT IS the switch! But that's TRULY weird!
Old 10-23-2016, 05:07 PM

Well, the Chiltern manual is wrong!! (surprise, surprise!) Haven't used them for 15 years, What was I thinking?

AND, I put it all back together and IT WORKS!!

No it doesn't!!!! Oh, yes it does!!! No it doesn't!!!!

err.......... SH!^& ! Just put a new switch in you dolt!! You know, If it wasn't the weekend, parts dept is closed and my wife want's the car???? No, just me, maybe I'm losing my touch - should do this more often. (Wheel bearings next!)

Thanks for all your help, I'll let you know if the switch doesn't fix it.
Old 10-24-2016, 01:18 PM

New switch fixed the ESC OFF light also. The switch is activated by a nylon push-rod with 2 cams on it - for some reason the ESC cam is only half the size of the STOP LIGHT cam So it wears out sooner and the ESC is getting a wrong signal.

It's more complicated than that because the same switch disengages CRUISE - and that has always worked!

So if your ESC OFF light comes on for no reason (no codes) might want to go online and order up a new stop light switch ($10CAN) - I just paid $33 at the stealership!

OBTW it's the same switch for all Hyundai and Kia models from 2005 to 2011!!

Thanks again,
Old 10-25-2016, 06:48 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

Thank you very much for posting the follow-up