Computers, Gaming, & Technology Here you can talk about anything with circuit boards, or dilithium crystals, or flux capacitors. Show off your technology, computing, and gaming knowledge.

Anyone using 4k media?

Old 09-20-2016, 06:26 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 01 Tiburon Turbo, 99 Tiburon F2E, 2013 Avalon XLE Touring
Default Anyone using 4k media?

I pulled the trigger on the Samsung 65" 4k. Should get here soon and in the mean time I've added a recessed power/data box at 48"a.f.f. with a surge protected duplex, non-protected duplex, and 2 coax. I'm also beginning to think about how to get the media to the tv. I currently have Directv, which has the 4k service option, but not sure if I want to pay for it. I am trying to stay away from putting an entertainment center below the tv only to house one or two items. I'd like to stream the information from elsewhere in the house.

Is anyone else streaming 4k movies or using wifi to transmit the information to a tv? How is it working out for you? Sluggish? What are your internet speeds? Are you using Netflix, Vudu, cloud, etc?
Old 09-20-2016, 10:35 AM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

I've got a 65" 4K TV also. I paid extra for the 4K Netflix and they don't have a ton of content but it's definitely better than 1080p. Youtube also has a fair amount of 4K content and I'm guessing your TV is probably a smart TV also so the installed Youtube app can probably stream in 4K.

As far as other inputs I have 2 PCs hooked to mine which output 4K. This is great for one of them, but pushing the limits of the other. The first PC is for gaming primarily and I've been very happy with that. The second PC is only able to push 30fps at 4K so the results have been less amazing. If you do want to run a PC to a 4K TV be sure you get a video card that decodes H.265/HEVC MPEG-H files if you want to play video. 4K files have to process enough information that you can't software decode anymore with a reasonable computer.

I'm sure yours has an upscaler. Mine works pretty well so 1080p looks noticeably better than it would if the TV was 1080p. Because of this it isn't a big deal if you're stuck with HD programming.
Old 09-21-2016, 10:01 AM

Unfortunately, I don't have a computer at home capable of supporting 4k. I do have a mycloud that I may be able to stream from. I'll have to check more into that. Or I could just get a portable drive that I can plug into the tv. Again, I don't want to have a media center below the tv collecting dust and taking up living room space. What I've done so far is supply the backbox with coax, usb, HDMI connections (and surge protected power) to the tv and ran them to outlets below. If I want to watch a movie, I should be able to just plug the device in and put it away afterwards.

It's looking like at this point in 4k evolution, I'm going to have to rely on Netflix, Vudu, and Youtube. As far as I know, Directv is the only provider for 4k content and only has select programming.
Old 09-22-2016, 01:27 PM

Heads up people! I've been doing quite a bit of research on streaming 4k using Ultraviolet digital downloads. At this time, even if you buy the $30 4k movie, when you go to claim the digital download, you may not be getting 4k rights to the digital version. It may not exist! Most of Warner movies do, but Fox movies do not. If you use the claim code now, you're permanently screwed into owning a standard HD version with no potential for automatically upgrading to the 4k when it comes out.

The thought is to wait until the 4k version comes out on digital, but not until your digital code expires. Hopefully by then, there will be a 4k digital version available and you'll get access to it. Or, you can just claim the HD version and pay the 4k upgrade fee when/if it is released.

4k has been out for like 3-4yrs. I didn't think it was still this much into its infancy.
Old 09-27-2016, 06:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2005 V6 Tib

I thought 4K was just a gimmick since there isnt that much content available in that format Guess I need to look more into it because I have a 4K tv too.
Old 09-27-2016, 08:39 AM

There really is a noticeable difference once you start getting into the 55" and above sizes. The problem is there is no infrastructure capable of reliably streaming it. That is why cable companies are slow to support it. Directv supports it, but requires additional fees and equipment making it cost prohibitive. Give it another year or two and it'll be mainstream. 4k Blue-ray's only came out this past march even though the tv's have been out for 3 years.

Right now companies are fighting to be the one that supports it, with many different methods already out there. But, it's looking like Vudu (backed by Walmart) is starting to come out on top due to the selection, ease of use, and readily available on ALL devices.
Old 10-04-2016, 12:45 PM

Well, my post above has some inaccuracies. I didn't know that ATT now has the Gigabit service which is far more than capable of streaming 4k. Even their 2nd tier option will work. As long as you get their intro prices on it. I've watched quite a few Youtube vids in 4k and it's amazing!

I've now done quite a bit of research on VUDU since it is definitely the go-to service for your online/cloud movie library. It's actually a very beneficial service as they will convert your current blue-rays to digital for only $2 each, or $1 if you do more than 10. Well worth it IMO instead of manually ripping them for hours with software.

I'm in the process of getting them all converted. Once done, I can permanently store my physical collection in box storage so they aren't taking up shelf space.

I did hit a big downside with my 2016 Samsung. The whole smart tv thing. Like any computer, software updates can cause issues at times, like when Samsung's new firmware update doesn't jive with VUDU's app. So, for now, 2016 Samsung tv owners are left in the dark with VUDU until they get it sorted out. But, they are definitely working on it and are supplying everyone with updates on the progress.

I have been very excited about this in case you can't tell. Having all my movie collections readily available on all my devices via the cloud (while still retaining the physical copy) was the best thing to happen to movies. I know I could do it on my computer, but this is FAR more portable and FAR more easy to access via an app!
Old 10-20-2016, 09:29 AM

I got most of the bugs worked out with VUDU and Cinemanow. Turns out that you need to open ports in your router so it secures the connection.

Most of my collection has been converted to digital. All except Blurays and those that aren't licensed to be converted. I'd say about 75% were able to convert. Disney doesn't allow it, which is the biggest bummer.

I just bought my first digital code on ebay today. Went as expected, which was with hickups. I think there are a lot of shops that buy blurays in bulk, then sell off the bluray and digital code separately to make money. I bought a code for $4.50 and he emailed it to me. Turned out to be "already used". I let him know that and he magically sent me another code which then worked. Shady if you ask me, and probably illegal as hell. But, in the end, I got my movie.

To do the bluray's, I need a BR drive attached to my computer. Anyone want to part with one?