Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

Infrastructure in your cities

Old 07-20-2016, 05:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2011 Genesis 2.0
Default Infrastructure in your cities

How's the infrastructure in your cities like roads and bridges? I live in New Jersey which is like the armpit of the world when it comes to how bad our roads and bridges are. Detroit is probably the only other place that's worst. But I feel like Im in a high end track event each time I get behind the wheel because I have to dodge so many bad spots in our roads. The city and state doesnt really seem to care about fixing things until it becomes really bad or causes major damage to peoples vehicles. Where you all live, do they keep things smooth and clean or is infrastructure on the bottom of the list when it comes to budgets and spending money?
Old 07-20-2016, 05:59 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 01 Tiburon Turbo, 99 Tiburon F2E, 2013 Avalon XLE Touring

Our roads and highways are pretty nice where I live. Although on the poor side of town, they've got problems. I assume the gov't allocates the money proportionately to the areas that pay more taxes.
Old 07-20-2016, 10:30 AM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis 2.0T

Pretty bad here in NY too. Every summer though, just about all of the main highways get a makeover. We say there's 2 seasons in upstate NY....winter and construction. Not sure if it's bad materials or crappy worksmanship or a combo of the two. The winters wreak havoc on the roads here due to plows, salt, ice expanding under cracks and creating massive potholes. If it's not chewed up roads being prepped, it's steel plates everywhere. Thats why you cant have nice things up here or drive in slammed cars without destroying it. I love driving on roads when I'm down south because everything is so smooth and flat. Plus, they use straight up concrete cement where up here we use a combination of rocks with poured black asphalt over the top. There's actually one stretch of highway near here that's so bad, the people who live in the area have had to put a petition together and have it sent to the Governor because the county or city refuses to do anything about it. They said there isnt any money in the budget to repair it, so people are forced to go a long way around it to their destinations or be forced to drive on it and have their cars mangled up.

As for bridges, same story. A lot of our bridges are in dire need to be replaced or overhauled. There's one bridge locally that has been on the news a lot due to recent events where large piece of concrete have actually fallen off the bridge and landed on peoples cars as they drive under it. The state and county said there's no money for repairs, but I think they finally landed some extra so they're having it fixed. Even though, they are saying it wont be fully fixed until the end of next year which by that time, the entire thing could come down at any moment when you drive over it.

So yeah...lots of bad bad unsafe and scary roads and bridges around here.
Old 07-20-2016, 03:18 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

Our bridges are old but our roads are pretty good at least where it doesn't snow a lot.