Turbo & Supercharge (Forced Induction) Posts regarding Turbochargers, Superchargers and any other method for Forced Induction.

Turbo or supercharger?

Old 07-12-2016, 02:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis Coupe 3.8 GT
Default Turbo or supercharger?

I just bought a new-to-me 2010 Gen Coupe 3.8 GT and besides a CAI and a tune to start out, I'm trying to decide if I want to someday add a supercharger or a turbo. What do you guys suggest and what would be the top pros and cons for each option?
Old 07-12-2016, 04:20 PM
Super Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 14 EGT 2.0

Right now I would go replace all the wearable rubbery stuff before going for big power. Such as; go look under it and see if the flex discs are starting to crack. (big rubber discs that connect the driveshaft to the end of the trans and the diff - one on each side) One of mine was giving up on my '10 genesis when I had it and I have had my Elantra GT for almost two years now. The cracked ones can cause odd vibration and if you put enough power on them; break them. Get rid of worn suspension and brake components.

On the discs: Hyundai will want you to buy an entire driveshaft to get them. I went with this company: https://www.powertrainindustries.com...s&make=Hyundai (Not part of that company/sales person, etc. The discs worked and the slight vibration I had at speed went away)

Once you are ready for big power; I would say turbo > SC. Making power from wasted power. S/c tend to get the power to you quicker, but unless you really drop the compression and make it sluggish offboost you still have a 3.8 v6 to get you moving.
Old 07-13-2016, 06:03 AM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis 2.0T

Most people are doing the turbo conversions in the GC community that have the 3.8. The supercharger kits that are out are really not all that great at this time, but there are 2 or 3 really good turbo kits. Just keep in mind that by boosting the 3.8, you'll have some serious horsepower numbers so you're going to need to upgrade just about every other part of the car from suspension to clutch to driveshaft. Plus, you're going to have go stand alone for the tuning like a Haltech since I'm pretty sure BTR or SFR are unable to tune boosted 3.8's at this time.