Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Keep my Coupe N/A or Boost it ?!?

Old 06-29-2016, 02:48 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 97' Hyundai Coupe
Default Keep my Coupe N/A or Boost it ?!?

Most of you might know about my ITB setup and now I'm wondering ... should I keep it N/A and invest in the project or sell what I don't need and boost it ?

I manage to squeeze 160whp and 212nm with that setup and I think this is really close to the limit! The car is fun to drive and its finally streetable , but as some of you told me before I want more ponies

I have 2 options :

swap the head with GK head port & polish, 1.8 pistons for around 11:1 compression... I'll probalby be a little more than 200bhp...

Second option is to boost it. If I choose this one I want 300+ bhp even 350bhp.

What do you guys think will be the best decision for me ? How is to live with boosted Tib everyday ?
Old 06-29-2016, 06:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Vehicle: 1997 Beta Swapped Accent

I think boost is the best option.
Old 06-30-2016, 05:52 AM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis 2.0T

Boost is great and there's nothing like it but keep in mind, it'll involve more time and money and the possibility is always there that when you start adding much more power, many more things can go wrong which could turn into downtime down the road, versus an N/A setup which will almost always be reliable. You have to ask yourself if the headaches down the road will be worth it. Also, who's to say that once you hit 300-350 that you wont want more, which will involve more tuning, fuel, parts, etc. 300-350 is a lot for a daily driven street car, and it's not always the best when stuck in stop & go traffic too. There are a lot of things you have to look at when deciding on a project like this.
Old 06-30-2016, 09:58 AM
Banned

Visionz you nailed it brother

Thats like the N/A angel and the boost devil fighting in my head I'm well aware that I will rearly use that turbo power and I really hate turbo lag ! I have a lot of friends with turbo cars and non of them is realiable ! I don't like the option to invest a lot of money in my car and drive it 2-3 times a month. I want to use it almost everyday. Right now the Coupe is almost perfect for me and my girl.

May be will buy GK head , work on it and when its ready just swap it. Have an idea for better ITB design. All I want is more peak power, cause right now that's the only thing I don't like about the current setup.

Here is a graph from Virtual Dyno. Thats the best result for the moment.

Old 06-30-2016, 12:03 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Vehicle: '14 Ford F-150

The reason why so many boosted cars are unreliable is because people try to do them piecemeal or on the cheap. To turn up the boost on a factory FI car isn't too difficult and not very expensive until you get to the needing to build the motor stage. Boosting a factory NA car correctly gets very expensive. You can save some money if you can turn your own wrenches and if you can get high quality used parts. You need the entire turbo system, fuel system, cooling system (including the pump if it's got a lot of miles on it), better brakes, better suspension, stronger clutch, diff, etc... Sure, you can throw a Chinese eBay turbo on any car and run 5 psi for $2500, but you know that's not going to be enough power and when you turn it up... Boom!... broken parts.
Old 06-30-2016, 12:57 PM
Banned

Almost everything that has been done to my car I did it myself. May be some Evo turbo parts will suit me best. Still not sure what to do ?! I'll not rush anything

I know that to do it well I have to invest a lot of money and time, but I'm still not sure if its worth it.

Last weekend we went to an old and closed airport. Where is a nice small track and we had some fun. There were some N/A cars, turbo petrol, turbo diesel... for that slow track with a lot of corners I can tell that the Coupe was perfect. Turbo Golf 4 ~320hp and diesel ibiza ~300hp were slower !?! Those cars will murder me on 1/4 mile and even worse on rolling start, but on that slow track I was ahead. i really don't want to be the guy with turbo 300+ car that can't beat N/A cars on the track

Do you guys think with port and polish GK head I can pass the 200bhp mark ? I think the RD head is killing the higher RPMs. You can see from 5500rpm to 6700rpm all I get is 5hp ?!? On my fuel map at WOT I can see that to achieve 12.5 AFR I have to add fuel from around 3000rpm to 5000rpm and after that I have to remove fuel. The higher the RPM the more fuel I have to take ! I think that the head can't flow that amount of air.

Any ideas or advices are welcome
Old 06-30-2016, 04:43 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Elantra GLS

If staying NA, the Beta 2 head will help. But top end power will still be limited by those 232/240 camshafts. Get some 272's or so and turn it about 7200.
Old 07-01-2016, 01:26 AM
Banned

272 cams and ITBs the idle will be fun From my logs I can see that the rev limiter is around 6900-7000rpm.

Thanks for the help
Old 07-19-2016, 03:52 PM

Vehicle: 2005 Tiburon GT

Boost Boost Boost Boost
Old 10-07-2016, 01:29 PM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

I say stay N/A. If you boost that car will replace your girlfriend and next thing you know you're old and you devoted 10 years for fixing boost related issues lol.