Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

Britain Votes to Leave E.U.

Old 06-24-2016, 08:12 AM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis 2.0T
Default Britain Votes to Leave E.U.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-br...-idUSKCN0Z902K

Britain voted to leave the European Union, forcing the resignation of Prime Minister David Cameron and dealing the biggest blow to the European project of greater unity since World War Two.

Global financial markets plunged on Friday as results from a referendum showed a 52-48 percent victory for the campaign to leave a bloc Britain joined more than 40 years ago.

The pound fell as much as 10 percent against the dollar to touch levels last seen in 1985, on fears the decision could hit investment in the world's fifth-largest economy, threaten London's role as a global financial capital and usher in months of political uncertainty. The euro slid 3 percent.

World stocks saw more than $2 trillion wiped off their value, with indices across Europe heading for their sharpest one-day drops ever. Britain's big banks took a $100 billion battering, with Lloyds (LLOY.L), Barclays (BARC.L) and RBS (RBS.L) plunging as much as 30 percent at one point. [MKTS/GLOB]

The United Kingdom itself could now break apart, with the leader of Scotland - where nearly two-thirds of voters wanted to stay in the EU - saying a new referendum on independence from the rest of Britain was "highly likely".

An emotional Cameron, who led the "Remain" campaign to defeat, losing the gamble he took when he called the referendum three years ago, said he would leave office by October.

"The British people have made the very clear decision to take a different path and as such I think the country requires fresh leadership to take it in this direction," he said in a televised address outside his residence.

"I do not think it would be right for me to be the captain that steers our country to its next destination," he added, choking back tears before walking back through 10 Downing Street's black door with his arm around his wife Samantha.

Quitting the EU could cost Britain access to the EU's trade barrier-free single market and means it must seek new trade accords with countries around the world. A poll of economists by Reuters predicted Britain was likelier than not to fall into recession in the coming year.

The EU for its part will be economically and politically damaged, facing the departure of a member with its biggest financial center, a U.N. Security Council veto, a powerful army and nuclear weapons. In one go, the bloc will lose around a sixth of its economic output.

"It's an explosive shock. At stake is the break up pure and simple of the union," French Prime Minister Manuel Valls said. "Now is the time to invent another Europe."

The result emboldened eurosceptics in other member states, with French National Front leader Marine Le Pen and Dutch far-right leader Geert Wilders demanding their countries also hold referendums. Le Pen changed her Twitter profile picture to a Union Jack and declared "Victory for freedom!"

The vote will initiate at least two years of divorce proceedings with the EU, the first exit by any member state. Cameron - who has been premier for six years and called the referendum in a bid to head off pressure from domestic eurosceptics - said it would be up to his successor to formally start the exit process.

His Conservative Party rival Boris Johnson, the former London mayor who became the most recognizable face of the Leave camp, is now widely tipped to seek his job.

Johnson left his home to jeers from a crowd in the mainly pro-EU capital. He spoke to reporters at Leave campaign headquarters, taking no questions on his personal ambitions.

"We can find our voice in the world again, a voice that is commensurate with the fifth-biggest economy on Earth," he said.

Stock market has tanked over this. Should be interesting to see what happens in the coming months.
Old 06-24-2016, 08:52 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 01 Tiburon Turbo, 99 Tiburon F2E, 2013 Avalon XLE Touring

It's just the usual reaction to......well anything that ever happens in the world. It'll come back as usual.
Old 06-24-2016, 09:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Vehicle: 2000/Hyundai/Coupe F2 Evo

stock markets are their own worst enemy and are prone to pressing the panic button a little too quickly.

I believe we have taken a step in the right direction and if all the analysts and so called experts would be a bit more positive about things instead of predicting doom and gloom then the doom and gloom probably won't happen.

We have given our politicians back the power to run their own country and not be governed by Brussels, i wouldn't be surprised if other major EU countries follow suit as it's not just us that's fed up with the direction the EU was heading. It's gonna be a bumpy ride but i believe it will all work out ok in the end.
Old 06-24-2016, 01:38 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 01 Tiburon Turbo, 99 Tiburon F2E, 2013 Avalon XLE Touring

I agree with everything you just said. I think it's always a good thing when a country stays small and governs itself. They are like their own community and hold their own values. You can't just blanket rule everyone in the world! Different cultures need different laws.

I think the UK was the first with balls big enough to bail out first. Now that they have taken the first step, others will be brave enough to do the same.
Old 06-24-2016, 01:44 PM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis 2.0T

Most recent numbers.....BUY BUY BUY!

UDaacfW.png
Old 06-27-2016, 04:44 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

Next let's bow out of the UN.
Old 06-29-2016, 09:03 AM