Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

What I have been up to.

Old 07-04-2016, 11:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: MC + RD2 + AW11 + 944 = 4x Win

Metal bracing hasn't been added yet, but it will be shortly. The backing of the mold was made with several structural carbon spines (vertical, horizontal and diagonal) to keep the shape rigid and weight down. It's doing a good job at this point but as you say better safe than sorry. Previously I had used steel bracing due to cost, but for something this size that's just not going to fly. Number one is keeping weight down and making these portable. I am working by myself for the most part so lugging around a large steel scaffold between the shed and the garage is not an option. The CF seems to do a decent job, but I'm all about ease Thx for the heads up! I'l pick up some and try it out on the hatch mold.

Typically what I'll do is get the mold sanded and then add a few fresh layers of gelcoat then re-fit and add more FG to the structure. For the hatch I'm also playing with hand laid carbon chop mat since it's much lighter (~.7k per layer) and a good bit strong with the right epoxy.

I've done a good bit of FG in the past and dabbled in carbon for the past year. This is the first professional level attempt at something this size, so there is a learning curve, but the engine lid for my MR2 is looking good ATM and this is the next step.
Old 07-09-2016, 05:22 PM
mYu

Vehicle: 2001 Tiburon

Are you planning on doing a carbon RD2 hatch?
Old 07-19-2016, 03:51 PM

Vehicle: 2005 Tiburon GT

A lot of work. Good job.
Old 07-20-2016, 11:24 AM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

Sick work man! I'm bringing the "stuff" with me on August 15th. They're going directly to you from Washington. I still don't have the front bumper but at least you can get started.
Old 08-01-2016, 04:02 PM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

Hey dude, Tommy is preparing the bumper for me. I'm going to have it molded in Poland, as well as the skirts, then send it back to him, then send you the copies. That way he gets his original parts back and we're in business.

Are you using vacuum molding? I was chatting with my brother and he said that without it, the resin has a tendency to shrink after being cast and this prevents it from happening.
Old 08-25-2016, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by mYu
Are you planning on doing a carbon RD2 hatch?

RD1 ans 2 hatches in the works. The outer mold is done for the RD2, but I intended to launch them with a new custom hood and the 2 week project has now commanded well over 200 hours. The hood will launch in a few days and I am offering a nice introductory price. Once the hood is selling the hatch will become the priority project. To do the hatch right with nice OEM fitment is going to involve dissasembing the OEM hatch to make absolutely certain every nook and latch point is securely molded on the inner skin. So I basically get one shot at each. This has been the holdup on the project as the outer mold must be immaculate before I take the grinder to it.

I suppose the cat is out of the bag on the other project, so it's time for some hype. HKC is loaning me the bits he's been collecting for the RD1 rally widebody. MAD respect for that! It's going to take some time do to do it all correctly, but the next step is to mold and reproduce the RD1 widebody. I will also be purchasing an RD1 for conversion as both the test mule and shop car to drag around the shows and meets next year. This is also why my personal projects have been on hold. No ETA at the moment, but what we've been discussing is going to drag the project into 2017 for certain. How late is to be seen. Trust me when I say I will update the forums once there are concrete dates.

You can follow all of the projects at facebook.com/Element6Fab/

There is also a teaser there of the hood. The final image will be available shortly.
Old 08-25-2016, 10:59 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Vehicle: 1999 Hyundai Tiburon

Well, just so you know, you will be lighting my credit card on FIRE when these parts start coming out!!!! Can't wait!!!
Old 08-26-2016, 05:56 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 01 Tiburon Turbo, 99 Tiburon F2E, 2013 Avalon XLE Touring

Old 08-31-2016, 02:26 AM

I don't generally like to post things before they're 100% but in this case there is a long weekend coming up and I want to spend it making parts.

14152012_10153597704812723_619659466_o.jpg

The hood project is almost complete. The gelcoat has been applied. You'll notice its a little clumpy because I had to apply it by hand, it was too late in the evening to run the air compressor. Most of that will work itself out while it dries the rest is sanded. Sanding begins tomorrow night and with luck that will be it for the plug.

In case you're not a member of RD sharks on facebook I opened presales today at $500 plus shipping. My site is still pending, so for now if you want in on the first round of hoods email me at phil.c.conrad@gmail.com or PM me here. This will be transacted through paypal and all deposits are fully refundable. I won't even charge a restocking fee because lets be real here, that total bullshit. I do require a 100% deposit ($500) to get started and after they're complete we'll discuss shipping options. I will ship what ever method you prefer, or if you have no preference the the least expensive but most trust worthy (and insured of course) method so your hood arrives undamaged. Hoods take roughly a week to complete, with a small lead time considered for finalizing the process. They will be produced on a first come, first serve basis and will be delivered completed with UV protectant unlike most ebay hoods. As stated this is an open hood for ventilation. Drip pans will be provided free of charge only to the first 10 buyers (a $150 value) once R&D is complete. I will take 5 orders to start and already have payments incoming so be aware. The first 5 will be raw carbon only (see example render). If you want colors or a symmetrical "V" pattern (see example render) or any other one off work that can be done on the second batch at additional cost. Pm or email for details.

After this initial sale I am planning to price the hood at $750 and drip pan at an additional $150. I think you'll find that's a fair price for a quality hood and if you do the math this is nearly half of that cost. I basically took my maximum group buy benefits I had planned as an out of the gate offer for several reasons. Mostly because this took nearly a month longer than anticipated and people have been waiting most patiently.

As always feel free to ask questions or critique. Though understand, you're not seeing the completed part but the less than beautiful development process. This is a plug for the final mold which will be done in mere days.

I'll post a sale thread when the plug is 100%

Below is the image I posted on FB, taken during sanding to give you an idea of the shape.
Attached Images
File Type: png