Computers, Gaming, & Technology Here you can talk about anything with circuit boards, or dilithium crystals, or flux capacitors. Show off your technology, computing, and gaming knowledge.

What's the next big thing?

Old 05-23-2016, 04:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis 2.0
Default What's the next big thing?

Mobile is mature, the explosive growth is over.

I dunno when VR will be sorted, but it's not ready for prime time, yet, and I don't know who's going to pull it off.

So who's going to get VR right, or what's the next big thing?

Come on my nerdlings, what's next?
Old 05-23-2016, 06:21 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Vehicle: '14 Ford F-150

VR is the next big thing. By 2018, it'll be standard with most gaming systems. It'll be widely available for PC's next year.
Old 05-24-2016, 06:20 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 01 Tiburon Turbo, 99 Tiburon F2E, 2013 Avalon XLE Touring

I agree. I've used an Oculus Rift headset to roam through building models we create for new commercial construction and it's pretty advanced stuff. All that's left is to get the hardware speed up enough to process enhanced scenery, get a little better resolution, and make it cheap enough for gaming consoles. The Oculus isn't cheap, especially with the added hardware needed to run it. But, I see it being used widely in 2yrs.
Old 05-24-2016, 01:16 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

VR is going to be huge. With the new GTX 1080's price point it'll be completely reasonable to have a GOOD gaming rig with an Oculus Rift for at or below $2000. Since I only need a better graphics card and the Oculus itself I'll probably get that setup within the next year.

I'm a big fan of augmented reality and see a lot of potential there but most implementation so far is crap. Father.io is probably the best entertainment focused product so far but it wasn't convincing enough to get my money. Google Glass interests me but I don't want to wear crazy glasses.

In my opinion though the next truly big thing will be driverless cars. I love driving more than most people but the safety aspect alone for outlawing human driven vehicles will be enough to push that legislation through. Within 20 years I would be surprised if you can buy a car that doesn't drive itself.
Old 05-24-2016, 08:01 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Vehicle: '14 Ford F-150

Originally Posted by 187sks
In my opinion though the next truly big thing will be driverless cars. I love driving more than most people but the safety aspect alone for outlawing human driven vehicles will be enough to push that legislation through. Within 20 years I would be surprised if you can buy a car that doesn't drive itself.

I don't think that'll be next. I think they'll be readily available, but I don't see driving being outlawed in my lifetime. You'll have cries of "class warfare" since you'll basically be outlawing used cars.
Old 05-25-2016, 06:02 AM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis 2.0T

I think we will start to see some form of A.I. coming into play over the next year or two. Not the full all out, kill all humans robot overlord type of A.I. but more so of a lower level type where things can suggest ideas or options on stuff that you are interested in. Facebook, Amazon and Google are all working on different types of A.I. now and have stated they will see it advance in the next few years.