Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

RD2 Hood Or Hood Scoop

Old 05-04-2016, 04:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Tiburon
Default RD2 Hood Or Hood Scoop

My hood is rusted through. It has to be replaced. It's really the next thing that needs to be fixed on this car to make it nice. I'm having a lot of trouble finding a aftermarket hood for this car. I thought I could get something with functional vents but other than the rather lame (in my opinion) vader looking one I can't find ANYTHING. It's stressing me out a bit lol.

Which brings me to hood scoops. If I just get a junked OEM hood and get a hood scoop put on (a large one with vents lol) I could cut the vents out to be functional...but I can't find anything like that either.

It's like this car is doomed to remain stock. There's nothing aftermarket that I can find for the hood.

Please help!
Old 05-04-2016, 06:58 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

Welcome to having an RD. The later Tiburons and especially the Genesis have decent aftermarket support. Good luck finding anything you haven't already for the RD. You could always have a local fabricator make something to specification for you, but it may cost more than you like. Look up classic car restoration and hot rod shops in your area.
Old 05-05-2016, 02:25 PM

Vehicle: MC + RD2 + AW11 + 944 = 4x Win

Be careful with aftermarket hoods as well. OEM hood vents typically have water channels to route rain water and the like around volatile components. Adding vents can be done and are not horrendously expensive, but if not done correctly you can wind up with standing water in all the wrong places.

Case in point:

See this engine lid similar to the one on my MR2

aw117.JPG

Note the OEM vents in the lid and in this closeup how there is sheet metal under the vent to channel water:

DSC_0254.JPG

What it looks like form the bottom:

aw118.JPG

The top of the coolant reservoir including the drainage channels:

10548261_595323680584472_2852362669042455814_o.jpg

On my car a combination of the aged channels on top of that tank, and the corrosion on the hood let to my alternator taking the direct flow of rainfall Needless to say it lasted less than a week of that exposure.

A quality aftermarket hood will (engine lid in this case) will include those panels on the bottom of the hood, but molding this kind if hood takes a lot of time a skill. A little info overload and minor bragging in the spoilers below.

Spoiler

Old 05-05-2016, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by Stocker
Welcome to having an RD. The later Tiburons and especially the Genesis have decent aftermarket support. Good luck finding anything you haven't already for the RD. You could always have a local fabricator make something to specification for you, but it may cost more than you like. Look up classic car restoration and hot rod shops in your area.

No, this car is only worth $1700. Custom? I can't put that much money into it. I tell you guys it's extremely disappointing.

I don't see myself having this car for that much longer if I can't do anything to it.

Alright. Bear with me here. Let me bounce an idea off you guys.

I don't know jack sh*t about hood scoops. I just know they get molded into the hood somehow. I'll figure it out I guess.

Could I technically buy a junked hood....apply something like this (image below), cut the vent out, and paint the whole the damn thing?

Might need to trim the sides off that universal one but...meh it's an example.

Probably wouldn't cost more than what I would have spent on a vented hood anyways. I just need to see if it's feasible or even possible.

SH0MZUr.jpg
Old 05-05-2016, 09:46 PM

Vehicle: MC + RD2 + AW11 + 944 = 4x Win

Not to be a dick here, but real talk: Why blow any money at all in "look fast" mods that have no function? Especially on a vehicle that you've already written off?

It just makes no sense. That same money could be spent anywhere on the car to make improvements to handling or luxury, or better yet invested in actual performance mods. The RD is a great chassis with a brick for a power plant, but a brick that is easily upgraded and known to be strong.

If you don't like the look of the car and you've given it a concrete value, why do anything to the look? Especially aesthetics that will decreaese the already low value of the car. It just doesn't make sense.

The point and joy in modding a cheap car is not ruining something newer with some level of value upon trade.
Old 05-06-2016, 12:12 PM

I think we have far opinions on what ruins a car or not. Not be a dick eitherbut I don't need to be the hot shot kid trying to make a slow car fast. I'm not racing. I don't need turbos and all this other nonsense I see on here everyday. I want to drive a car that looks cool. So not to be rude but I don't want to ruin this car with performance crap it doesn't need. Thanks for the advice. Clearly I need to forge my own path.
Old 05-06-2016, 04:35 PM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

You folks need to cease coming on here thinking your Hyundais are Ferraris.

Tiburons are known not to have ANY aftermarket parts man. They're rare, and not Mustangs found around every corner with tons of aftermarket options.

I bought one of the last carbon hoods off ebay. They ran out of stock a few years back pal. It's a done deal. Forget it. If you want something with aftermarket support, you're better off with an old Celica, but definitely not a Tiburon. So you can't expect to pick up a 16-year-old Korean tin can and it's automatically a Ferrari 550 Maranello. lol.

I sort of think it's senseless to drive around with a hood scoop that's only going to destroy the electrical components in your engine, rust it to the ground after one thunderstorm ...think about it.

C'mon people! Tiburons are more like VW Corrados and Audi Quattros. You've probably never heard of that one and you probably don't know the second either. Case and point.

Welcome aboard.
Old 05-07-2016, 09:22 AM
Banned

Vehicle: 97' Hyundai Coupe

I'm using Subaru hood scoop for my ITB setup. Its not hard to do it yourself and it will not rust if done right. No problem with water or snow .

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater

P.S. its painted orange already