Turbo & Supercharge (Forced Induction) Posts regarding Turbochargers, Superchargers and any other method for Forced Induction.

2 different tunes

Old 05-03-2016, 04:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 00 Tiburon
Default 2 different tunes

How would you set up 2 different types of tunes for a turbo install? 1 for street use (less boost) and 1 for track (higher boost). I dont know any piggyback tuning options that offer that so can a haltech do it?
Old 05-03-2016, 05:22 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 01 Tiburon Turbo, 99 Tiburon F2E, 2013 Avalon XLE Touring

Yes. You would adjust the PWM output to the boost solenoid. But, I personally wouldn't. I would run the same tune and boost on the same turbo. Then have a true "streetable turbo" with less lag that I could swap in 30min on a v-band with a completely different map for road racing or daily driving. OR have 2 purpose built Tiburons....
Old 05-03-2016, 11:52 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Vehicle: 1999 Hyundai Tiburon

Wow, that sounds like a lot of work. IMO, no need for that unless you are truly competing. A haltech can totally take care of multiple boost settings, as John pointed out. Have it on a potentiometer and simply "turn" up the boost when you go to the track. My tuner has actually been trying to talk me into this for years! Your base tune will be the most important. Then simply pull boost when you are on the street, then crank it up when you head to the track.
Old 05-05-2016, 03:01 PM

Vehicle: 97 tiburon

Put a switch inline for your boost solenoid so you can turn it off and on. Low boost would be spring and high boost would be whatever you have the boost map set at. When you tune, you tune the complete fuel/ignition maps up to your highest boost level.
Old 05-06-2016, 02:17 PM

Vehicle: 2003/Hyundai/Tiburon

Most piggybacks and 99.9% of standalones have provisions for multiple maps or tunes switchable via a toggle switch. Its all in the set up and can work quite well. Back in the day I had a hidden switch on my Turbo tib that switched to a wastegate only map for a sort of Valet mode if anyone besides me drove it. It wasn't hard to do but keep in mind you need to tune each map separately for what you want and then switch between them.