Automotive News & Other Vehicle Discussions A forum for discussions pertaining to other vehicles other than Hyundai's, Press Releases, new model lauches and general Automotive news.

Mitsubishi: We've been cheating on fuel tests for 25 years

Old 04-26-2016, 10:29 AM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis 2.0T
Default Mitsubishi: We've been cheating on fuel tests for 25 years

http://money.cnn.com/2016/04/26/news...ars/index.html

The situation at Mitsubishi Motors just went from bad to much, much worse.

The Japanese automaker admitted Tuesday that it had falsified fuel efficiency tests for the past quarter century, the latest revelation in a scandal that has rocked the company.

Investors responded by pushing Mitsubishi shares down by 10%. The fuel test scandal has now erased half of the company's market value, and its shares are sitting at a record low.

The automaker said last week that it had used improper fuel economy tests on hundreds of thousands of vehicles, including some sold to Nissan (NSANF).

But the duration of improper testing disclosed by the company Tuesday was much broader than previously known.

Cars with inflated fuel efficiency ratings were sold only in Japan. Mitsubishi said it would ask lawyers from outside the company to investigate the tests.

Japanese authorities raided Mitsubishi's offices last week. The automaker won't include an earnings forecast when it announces results on Wednesday because of uncertainty over the scandal's impact, according to a senior company source.

The snafu follows a huge scandal that rocked Volkswagen (VLKAF) last year after it admitted rigging diesel engine emissions tests in America and Europe.

Other automakers have been penalized in recent years for putting a rosy spin on fuel economy figures.

Korean carmakers Hyundai (HYMTF) and Kia agreed to pay a combined $100 million fine in the U.S. in 2014 for overstating fuel economy estimates for many of their vehicles. They also had to refund customers for the difference in estimated fuel costs.

That same year, Ford (F) said it would compensate owners of about 200,000 U.S. vehicles after discovering the cars' gas mileage was overstated.
Old 04-26-2016, 05:36 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

Welp, looks like it's time to buy some shares of Mitsubishi
Old 04-27-2016, 08:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: MC + RD2 + AW11 + 944 = 4x Win

You're a whelp!

And you might wanna wait a few days on that. Just sayin'
Old 04-27-2016, 08:12 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 01 Tiburon Turbo, 99 Tiburon F2E, 2013 Avalon XLE Touring

Who buys Mitsu's anymore? I'm surprised the stocks didn't go down due to poor sales, not this nonsense.
Old 04-27-2016, 10:41 AM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis 2.0T

I'm surprised their stocks didn't plummet with this horrid contraption

Old 04-27-2016, 02:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: MC + RD2 + AW11 + 944 = 4x Win

Originally Posted by JonGTR
Who buys Mitsu's anymore?
I don't know about your area, but I see tons of the newer Mirages all over. I mean it is one of the cheapest cars out the right now.

I know the EvoX is out of production now but that sold pretty damn well too. Frankly I'm shocked the i - MiEV doesn't sell better considering how well the Leaf has been doing.
Old 04-27-2016, 09:03 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

In case anyone was wondering

ED16Ryw.jpg

This is how people with piles of money to invest, turn them into larger piles of money.