Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Bad shaking at speeds 50+. Tires? Suspension? Alignment?

Old 03-31-2016, 03:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2005 Tiburon
Default Bad shaking at speeds 50+. Tires? Suspension? Alignment?

I recently installed new drop springs and struts. I also rotated my tires from front to back. Following the install I have been experiencing a shaking in the steering wheel at different speeds over 50 MPH.

Thinking that it was alignment I took it in to have the standard post-suspension install alignment. Long story short, I did not have it done, but when I mentioned that I was having steering vibrations they said that it might be a balance issue in my tires. I had purchased a lifetime balance option when I bought the tires so I had them re-do the balance on the tires.

When I picked it up they said that 3 of the 4 tires were out of balance so I assumed that things would be fine.

Prior to the re-balance I had a shaking @ 62-68, then again over 74. Now I get a shake at closer to 52-53 and extending up to the high 50s, then again @ 62-63. It is really frustrating.

So here are my questions-

If before the suspension install I had no problems, and now after the install I do, is there anything that might be installed wrong that could contribute to the shaking?

Should I have the tires rebalanced again? If so should I take it to another shop?

Could it be the alignment that is causing the shaking?

Help! I have to take a roadtrip next weekend and I would really like to have this sorted out before I drive 1000 miles...
Old 03-31-2016, 07:50 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Vehicle: '14 Ford F-150

Rotate the tires back how they were. If it gets better, one of the tires has a bubble, separating belt or flatspot.
Old 04-01-2016, 05:55 AM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis 2.0T

Do you have aftermarket wheels on your car? Did you install hub centric wheel adapters if your wheels have a larger bore than the hub? That can cause shaking or vibrations like you mentioned too because the wheel isn't sitting correctly up against the hub.