Hyundai Sonata Forum The Hyundai Sonata Forum. The Sonata (around since 1989) and Hyundai XG300/XG350 (new for 2002) pickup the near-luxury segment for Hyundai. Find out where to get all the luxuries Korea is holding back on (HID, navigation systems, etc.) and how to tune your Hyundai Sonata, Azera, or XG for performance.

Primer or Adhesion Promoter

Old 03-16-2016, 04:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Sonata
Default Primer or Adhesion Promoter

I'm painting a plastic lip I modified to fit my Sonata and I plan to paint it myself. I have the basecoat paint and clearcoat but Im stuck on whether I should use regular primer before putting down the basecoat or if I should use plastic adhesion promoter? The promoters description says this

Adhesion promoter clear primer for use over bare plastic, chrome, vinyl, galvanized metal, fiberglass, aluminum, and glass. It remains flexible and has better adhesion to plastic than regular primer.

So if I use that, sand it smooth and then put the basecoat and clear on, I should be ok right?
Old 03-16-2016, 06:19 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Vehicle: 1999 Hyundai Tiburon

Depends what kind of base and clear you got. If you got good paint, IE. PPG, then use what they recommend as primer. Otherwise, your base or clear could reactivate the primer, and then you have a massive mess on your hands. If it's just duplicolor quality, ID say you have less of a concern, just use the same brand.
Old 04-06-2016, 04:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 07 Santa Fe

Apply primer and sand it using 600 so that paint will adhere better.