Hyundai Accent Forum The Hyundai Accent Forum. Hyundai's little champ. While the Hyundai Accent and Hyundai Excel may be small, they respond very well to aftermarket modifications and is among the favorites for Hyundai tuners.

Structulal integrity question

Old 02-26-2016, 08:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: Accent 1999 2D
Default Structulal integrity question

I just got an old 1999 Accent 2D previous owner said he changed windshield 3 times an currently its cracked pretty bad, however he convinced me it was a small rock on freeway. He said it was a small crack then it got bigger and bigger. Isn't that a sign that body wobbles too much, usually windshield cracks don't just expand from driving do they?

Another thing that dash is cracked across in 2 spots all way trough.

Car was hit in front, however it was repaired, i would not think it would crack dash?
Old 02-26-2016, 09:23 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

A small stone chip can turn into a windshield completely cracked all the way across, in a few seconds.

Source: Happened to me. Glass is f*cky stuff and will break in strange ways sometimes.
Old 02-27-2016, 12:43 PM
Super Moderator

Vehicle: 14 EGT 2.0

That happened to me on a chip that was "repaired" and good for a year. Then one day it thought it would get bigger and sent a single crack across the bottom of the windshield.
Old 02-27-2016, 08:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon Turbo

Change in Temps can do it as well. Hot summer temps into a cold thunderstorm rain can crack it further. Been there seen it first hand.
Old 03-11-2016, 01:45 AM

Vehicle: Accent 1999 2D

What about dash cracked in 4 spots across completely why you think this happened, airbags not deployed and it does not look like someone hit it with his/her head.

Same crack on opposite end as well.

Regarding windshield why small 1 inch crack grow into big one is this normal or means bad structural integrity?

P.S. Never had windshield cracked in any way so i have no clue about it.