Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

Man arrested in NY for "criminal possession" of legally owned firearms

Old 02-11-2016, 03:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: MC + RD2 + AW11 + 944 = 4x Win
Default Man arrested in NY for "criminal possession" of legally owned firearms

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...icle-1.2527173

Guo Shou, 33, of Rego Park, had 225 pounds of gunpowder, tens of thousands of rounds of ammunition, bullet-making equipment, assault rifles and several bullet proof vests, according to Queens District Attorney Richard Brown.

The arsenal was discovered when officers conducted an administrative pistol licensee review at Shou's home Monday. The officers spotted the gunpowder and some of the ammunition lying in plain sight.

They then got a court order to search the entire apartment, located on 65-60 Wetherole St., which is less than two blocks away from Public School 139 Rego Park.

"It is extremely disturbing to find such a lethal arsenal of this magnitude in a residential community," Brown said. "Alone, the amount of gunpowder discovered was capable of igniting and causing significant damage to not only the defendant's apartment but to neighboring apartments and the building's exterior walls, as well as injuring or killing anyone unfortunate enough to be in the vicinity."

Shou was arraigned Tuesday night and charged with first-degree reckless endangerment and third-degree criminal possession of a weapon. He faces up to seven years in prison if convicted of the most serious offense.

All told, cops seized: 14 licensed handguns, which were not properly secured in a safe; two loaded licensed shotguns; one licensed rifle; approximately 45,000 rounds of ammunition for multiple weapons; two Kevlar body armor vests; and six Kevlar armor plates.

Note: they keep calling it a "stockpile" not a collection.

Also "It is extremely disturbing to find such a lethal arsenal of this magnitude in a residential community." They were all legally owned! I see the endangerment charge if they were not maintained by the letter of the law, or if the amount or gun powder exceeded the limit for safe handing in his sized living quarters. But this is just a paranoid and extreme abuse of the system to punish an enthusiast. If there were probable cause that would be charged as well, but clearly not.
Old 02-11-2016, 04:57 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

I'd be interested to see what the third degree criminal possession of a weapon is all about. I don't know if there's a maximum for stored gunpowder, I've never had enough to be concerning.

This sounds like a load of BS to me though. Even if the charges are valid I don't see the logic behind seizing the lawful weapons.

I've got more than half of what this guy has and it certainly doesn't seem like an arsenal to me. Everything fits in a fairly small safe.
Old 02-12-2016, 06:35 AM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis 2.0T

Good ol' NY Safe Act

Gotta love the childish behavior too. "If you have better or more stuff than us, we're taking it from you and going home...."