Chef's Corner (Hells Kitchen) A forum for all your cooking delights! Post up cooking horror stories, your favorite recipe's, questions, or anything else that relates to what happens in the kitchen!

Why so cynical about organic food?

Old 02-07-2016, 10:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2005 Tiburon
Default Why so cynical about organic food?

I've noticed this around here and just wonder why...

Every chef agrees- fresher, more local, and minimally f*cked with food just tastes better (regardless of health benefits, man is grass fed organic rib eye awesome!) - so why the endless debate and cynicism?

Is it a case of "i can't afford it so it sucks!," or is it something else I don't get? I get it - marketing greatly exaggerates the benefits of organic food, but isn't that just the nature of marketing (exaggerating to sell your product in mass quantities).

Organic dairy - tastes better

Organic meat - oh, tastes so much better

Organic fruits/vegetable - taste is debatable to me, but why is it hard to understand that, while you don't care about pesticides, other people may?

I get it, all this "gluten free" stuff for people who don't suffer from gluten allergies is silly (gluten free water?), but why get so worked up about marketing if it has no effect on your life?
Old 02-07-2016, 02:13 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Vehicle: '14 Ford F-150

To me, it's more important that is be USA sourced, both for quality control (I don't trust the Mexican government very much) and economics (I'd rather support a US farm, whether private or corporate). The thing that seems to affect taste more is farm to table time and that fruits and veggies be tree or vine ripe, rather than forced.
Old 02-08-2016, 09:51 AM

Vehicle: MC + RD2 + AW11 + 944 = 4x Win

BY DEFINITION EVERYTHING YOU EAT IS ORGANIC

"Organic" is a bullshit term used by f*cking retards to convince themselves that their GMO fruits and veggies are, via the magic of suggestion and price, more healthy.

When possible I buy local groceries as a matter of supporting the farmers in our area and to acquire superior quality ingredients to make the food taste better. It's not magic, it's not "healthier" it's just a matter of personal preference.

A chain grocers "organic" head of romaine is just as healthy as the standard fair. Fun fact, there are no FDA regulations pertaining to "organic" material. It's a buzz word they can literally slap on to anything. At least with the gluten free crazy the contents must be free of gluten, but even then go look for the gluten free cranberries, or gluten free bacon.
Old 02-08-2016, 10:31 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Tibbi
BY DEFINITION EVERYTHING YOU EAT IS ORGANIC

"Organic" is a bullshit term used by f*cking retards to convince themselves that their GMO fruits and veggies are, via the magic of suggestion and price, more healthy.

When possible I buy local groceries as a matter of supporting the farmers in our area and to acquire superior quality ingredients to make the food taste better. It's not magic, it's not "healthier" it's just a matter of personal preference.

A chain grocers "organic" head of romaine is just as healthy as the standard fair. Fun fact, there are no FDA regulations pertaining to "organic" material. It's a buzz word they can literally slap on to anything. At least with the gluten free crazy the contents must be free of gluten, but even then go look for the gluten free cranberries, or gluten free bacon.

Actually, "Organic" has multiple meanings, including "carbon based". http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/organic.

Funner fact, the USDA regulates agriculture and sets standards for farming, not the FDA.

http://www.usda.gov/wps/portal/usda/...riculture.html

In order for a food item to be labeled as "Organic" it must meet USDA standards for organic farming. That being said, there are arguments for and against organic farming in the scientific and environmental communities.
Old 02-10-2016, 01:56 PM

The USDA certifies Farms and Businesses. Emphasis "certifies."

The use of the term "organic" is not regulated. The USDA stamp can only be placed on foods produced by said certified entities, but the fact remains any one can slap the word on anything and sell it. The certification is nice and all, but it's pointless to average the consumer. It's all about the specifics.

Case in point:

vs.

Note the lack of USDA certification on the left.
Old 02-10-2016, 11:13 PM
Super Moderator

That's why anyone who wants actual Organic buys the one on the right.
Old 02-11-2016, 07:44 AM

You make the unwise assumption that the average consumer is informed enough know the difference. Most in all seriousness think that "organic" means it has magical qualities making it healthier or tastier.
Old 02-11-2016, 09:59 AM
Super Moderator

Those people obviously don't really care. They're just buying it 'cause all the other soccer moms are.

For the record, I don't care either. My only shopping rules are no HFCS, minimal sodium and USA produce. Don't care about organic, non-GMO, gluten or any of the other "healthy" fads.