Computers, Gaming, & Technology Here you can talk about anything with circuit boards, or dilithium crystals, or flux capacitors. Show off your technology, computing, and gaming knowledge.

Microsoft trying to shove Win 10 down everyones throat

Old 02-03-2016, 05:47 AM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis 2.0T
Default Microsoft trying to shove Win 10 down everyones throat

http://www.digitaltrends.com/computi...any-computers/

Ready or not, here comes Windows 10! Microsoft makes latest OS a recommended update

If you don’t want Windows 10, you might want to check your Windows Update settings. Microsoft is pushing its OS out as a “Recommended Update.”

Microsoft, as part of its push to get Windows 10 on as many computers as possible, is famously giving its latest operating system away to users of Windows 8, 8.1 and 7. But much like an overzealous host, Microsoft isn’t just offering the upgrade: it’s insisting. Users who aren’t interested have already dealt with persistent popups, and now there’s a chance the installer will end up on their machine by default.

Microsoft’s aggressive pushing of Windows 10 has been no small source of controversy, and this latest change probably won’t help that. It means that if you have “Recommended Updates” checked in your Windows Update settings, the Windows 10 installer won’t just be offered to you, it will be downloaded. This isn’t a surprise. Microsoft outlined the transition back in October, as PC World reported.

“Depending upon your Windows Update settings, this may cause the upgrade process to automatically initiate on your device,” wrote Terry Myerson, Microsoft VP of Windows and Devices. “Before the upgrade changes the OS of your device, you will be clearly prompted to choose whether or not to continue.”

So the OS will be downloaded, and the installation process started, without the user doing anything — but the installation won’t go through unless the user starts the installation. And if something goes wrong, Microsoft has a failsafe. Users can downgrade to their old OS for 31 days in just a few clicks.

“We do this by keeping a full copy of your previous operating system on your device — including apps and settings — for the first 31 days following your upgrade,” wrote Myerson. “At any time during the first 31 days, you can go to “Settings->Update and Security->Recovery and Uninstall Windows 10” to return to your prior version of Windows.”

Reviewers and users seem to agree that Windows 10 is a great step forward for the operating system, but there are all sorts of reasons users might want to stick with a familiar operating system that’s working for them. We expect to see more people upset about how aggressively Windows 10 is being pushed, but also for 10’s install base to grow rapidly.

Gotta remember to turn off recommended updates. I have a couple of software programs I use for music stuff that havent caught up yet to being compatible to Win 10. They work flawless on 8.1, which I have.
Old 02-03-2016, 06:01 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

This was news late last year, which is when I switched to manual updates on my 7 boxes. I also ripped out all the GWX related crap from the roots, and made a text file on the root of C: called

$windows.~BT

- oh, sorry, you managed to sneak your installer onto my computer somehow but there was already a file where you wanted to write, with the name you wanted to use? Where did I put that little violin?