Transmission, Clutches, Shifters Posts regarding Transmissions. Clutches, torque converters, shift kits, Gear ratios, Limited Slip Differentals, etc for your Hyundai

Replace syncro or replace trans

Old 01-12-2016, 01:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 tiburon
Default Replace syncro or replace trans

I have the 2nd gear syncro grind that plagues almost every RD owner. I've tried using MT-90 and it's still this. I found a trans online with less than half the amount of miles mine has and I can get it for $200. Syncros are cheap but more time consuming to replace. Should I buy just the trans and do a simple swap or spend less money and get the syncro?
Old 01-12-2016, 03:21 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Elantra GLS

I would just buy the used transmision.
Old 01-12-2016, 07:39 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Hyundai Accent

Have you checked the shifter linkage bushings on the trans side of things? Mine would grind really bad in 2nd gear and after I replaced the bushings with solid ones, the grinding is gone.

The bushings wear out in the linkages which leaves slop room and generally causes the grinding.
Old 01-12-2016, 07:55 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

^ what they said.

I just put a $135 transmission in my car on the word of the junkyard that it was "ok" ...written in paint on the windshield of the donor car. OK in this case involved being a bit notchy, and 3rd gear worse than any of the others, but it spins the wheels so -close enough!

If you 100% know what you are doing, and have the time, and can find the parts, by all means replace all the synchros. But if any of those conditions don't apply, you're going to have a good chance of ending up with a $200 mess and you'd be better off having paid for a legit shop to reman. the transaxle for you.