Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Cruise Control Doesn't Work

Old 12-23-2015, 01:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Tiburon
Default Cruise Control Doesn't Work

Hey guys I need some help. I've been googling this for a few hours and I can't find any solution that would really include me. I noticed today cruise control does not work. It has worked previously with no issue. I have a 2000 Tiburon Automatic.

I haven't made any real big changes but the other day I did swap out the tail lights for some aftermarket euro style ones I got an amazing deal on at the junkyard. One of the lights was melted a bit where the bulb meets the plastic and screw sin (short circuit maybe?) but otherwise I didn't have any issue with it. I kept the stock bulbs in and that's where my confusion comes in.

In all of my searches I've found where people have had this problem when changing out their tail light bulbs for LED bulbs and found the problem resolved when switching back to stock bulbs. I've only used stock bulbs and I still have the issue. The only thing I changed was the tail light housing.

So the actual issue is the cruise control button on the dashboard does work - I press it and the little green light does come on. I no longer see the green word CRUISE light up on my dash/gauges and if I press the set button on the control stem it has no effect what so ever. So my cruise control is effectively gone.

So my question is...well I don't have one. Do you guys have any advice or experience with this sort of thing? I used the wires that came out of the junk car for the tail lights instead of the my original wires - do you think a short circuit could have caused the melting and might be stopping the cruise control from coming on?

I drive a lot so I appreciate any help I can get on it. I've got more issues to be asking you all pretty soon anyways

----------------------------------

These are the tail lights I installed. Found them in the junk yard.

LX4zY0v.png
Old 12-23-2015, 05:30 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Vehicle: '14 Ford F-150

Do the brake lights come on? If not, check the fuse. That will cause a cruise issue.
Old 12-23-2015, 05:57 PM

The brake lights do come on. Everything light wise seems to be functioning as it should. I'll get out there and update on the fuse tomorrow. It's been raining all day and it's dark now lol
Old 12-23-2015, 06:43 PM
Super Moderator

Check the cruise fuse as well.
Old 12-27-2015, 03:53 PM

Merry belated Christmas.

I finally got back onto this issue today. I'm still having the same issue plus a few new symptoms that may or may not be related. This car might just be falling apart all at once lol. Hope not though.

I can't find the fuse for cruise control. I've looked everywhere and half the car is in Korean I'm not even sure where to look but I didn't see anything that looked right in the driver's kick panel or the engine bay fuse box.

I took the euro lights off and put the stock ones back on and used all the original hardware and bulbs - didn't change a thing.

New symptoms. The battery keeps dying. That's new. Seems to happen randomly and oddly. For example today I started the car up, no issue, nothing on, and put the stock tail lights back in, only to find the battery dead for no apparent reason. I've jump started it twice today.

I need to get the battery checked but I don't think it's that old. Which then worries me about the alternator but no engine codes are being thrown out for that.

I do have a P0455 engine light on but I don't think that's related. I've had that issue for a bit. I'm pretty sure the charcoal box is imploded.

So I'm pretty confused quite honestly :-/

I like mechanics but I've only started getting into auto last year so I'm still learning a lot. I'd say my knowledge level is still pretty low.
Old 12-27-2015, 05:57 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Vehicle: 1999 Hyundai Tiburon

You won't get an engine light if the alt goes. I've had several go on me and never an engine light.

Have you messed with the plugs in the engine bay to your cruise actuator? It's old enough, maybe a contact is not working. Ive gotten old plugs with this problem to work by cleaning out the plug connectors with contact cleaner and simply reseating it.
Old 12-29-2015, 12:15 AM

Thanks for all the help guys

The cruise control was being shorted out by the wires in the tail lights. I shouldn't have used the junk wires that I pulled with the junked tail lights. I put my stock wires on it and put the stock tail lights back on and now everything works again. I assume it's just the wire because the actual light housing shouldn't matter.

The battery dying turned out to be it's own issue. It was not the alternator thankfully. Turns out the battery just isn't holding a good charge. I've changed it several times now and the car is still turning over very weakly. I'll grab a new battery tomorrow and I'd expect that to be solved.

The charcoal box...is still screwed lol. I have a junk one so I'm just going to swap them out and hope for the best. It's the only pending issue at the moment, mechanically anyways, so I'll tackle that one this week.

Thanks again!
Old 12-29-2015, 05:16 PM
Super Moderator

I have a canister elimination DIY that was posted on HP.com. Don't remember if it got moved over here or not.
Old 12-29-2015, 08:24 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

The charcoal box may have a failed foam sponge/seal that was used to hold the chunks in the box. My foam sponge had disintegrated and was letting chunks up the piping, and the valve had a chunk of coal on the seat which was causing it to throw codes. You have to take it all apart to see if it's leaking charcoal. At that point, you can clean the valve and dump the charcoal temporarily (in a gallon zip-lock baggie) to see if that helps it work right

Glad you got the lights fixed.