Turbo & Supercharge (Forced Induction) Posts regarding Turbochargers, Superchargers and any other method for Forced Induction.

Turbo cars and winter

Old 12-01-2015, 04:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2011 genesis
Default Turbo cars and winter

I have a 2.0T Genesis which I'm storing for the winter. We get some extreme cold here where temperatures can get down below zero often. I dont plan to start my car at all this year but somebody at work told me today that you should start a turbo'd car at least once a week in the winter and let it warm up to proper temperature to avoid condensation in the engine. They also said the oil can get very thick and cause problems for the turbo. Is this correct? I took my battery out so I would have to put it back in if it's supposed to be started weekly.
Old 12-01-2015, 06:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2011 Tuscon

Put some stabil in the gas tank and throw the car cover on. It'll be fine
Old 12-02-2015, 06:06 AM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis 2.0T

^

That's all I did, other than doing a full detail, changed fluids, ripped out the tablet and audio system, and battery. Just make sure in the Spring when you're ready to bring it back out, you let it warm up and run for a little bit to get things flowing before driving it. I would also do an oil change right away too if you didn't change the oil before putting it away.
Old 12-03-2015, 10:00 AM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Vehicle: 1999 Hyundai Tiburon

Maybe I'm paranoid, but I always start and run my car at least twice a month through the winter months. I'd rather be safe then sorry. Plus, it gets me in the garage and tinkering with something, even if its only for an hour before my fingers freeze off!
Old 12-03-2015, 07:16 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

Leave the battery on a tender, installed in the car. 0/10 there is no reason to remove the battery from the car. If you don't keep it charged, then run the engine long enough to charge the battery every month or so, if it's low when you *measure* the voltage.

Condensation is a natural by-product of combustion in a gasoline engine. Never think about condensation in your engine again.