Hyundai Elantra Forum The Hyundai Elantra Forum. Later models (96-up) of this 4-door share their Beta engines and chassis with the Hyundai Tiburon. Earlier Mistubishi-based Hyundai Elantras (92-95) are perfect candidates for the popular 4g63t motor swap, which turns the Hyundai Elantra into a real sleeper. These characteristics make the Hyundai Elantra a great car for those who want sports car performance with family car flexibility.

Elantra Dash Rattle

Old 11-16-2015, 08:17 PM
Super Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 14 EGT 2.0
Default Elantra Dash Rattle

Have a rattle that sounds like its coming from near the glass/in the dash? Mine was RPM/throttle specific. ECO mode made the situation worse because it stayed in that range longer. 2-3k rpm and half throttle and it would rattle like crazy. Freaking annoying. After poking at stuff inside for a bit I determined it was either deep in the dash or from under the hood.. but it really sounds like its inside. The answer was the cowling touching the glass directly. I removed the cowling and put some double sided/outdoor tape on the bottom edge of the windshield. Sound is gone. No more annoying rattle.

If this is happening to you:

Remove the cap on the wiper arms - remove them with a 14mm socket wrench. To get them to release you need to pull the arm up btw. If you drop the bolt it ends up in the fender well; remove the two screws and pull back the plastic. .....

Push down in the middle of the 4 tabs holding the cowling; once its down - pull them up.

The cowling will still have the washer hose on it.. you have enough room now. I didn't take that off.

Apply the tape to cover the bottom edge of the glass. I went with clear Gorilla tape.

Install the things back with the tape acting as a buffer to stop the plastic from tapping on the glass; enjoy not having that bit of annoyance.
Old 11-17-2015, 07:38 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

+ for the post but...

as someone with a 16 year-old car with filled motor mounts: the dash is not the only source of rattles in my car.
Old 11-17-2015, 08:50 PM
Super Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 14 EGT 2.0

I gave up looking for rattle solutions on my 03. The 14 sounded worse than the older one when I was at just the right throttle and rpm. It was driving me nuts. Tape fixed it.
Old 11-17-2015, 09:48 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Vehicle: '14 Ford F-150

Rattles in new cars are annoying. The '13+ Altimas were having an issue with a buzz noise behind the gauges. I figured out it was one of the pins on the gauges that snaps into the dash. The bad... I had the fun job of sticking fuzzy tape on every single new Altima on the lot. The good... Nissan gave me a super sweet (not really) patch for my jacket and made a change on the assembly line.
Old 11-18-2015, 01:50 PM
Super Moderator

<---- demands to see said patch
Old 11-18-2015, 06:57 PM
Super Moderator

I'll look for it. Just said "good catch".

Edit: Not in my "junk drawer" of my toolbox. I'll look through a couple of my boxes from storage. Need to do that this weekend anyways.
Old 11-18-2015, 09:20 PM
Super Moderator

Eh. Don't hurt yourself looking. Demand may have been an amusingly strong word but thanks for checking around.

Amusing anecdote time, speaking of "good catch": one of our guys double-checked something today and ended up saving (approximately) enough money to keep three full-time employees on payroll for a year. The boss is not a happy person by nature, got pissed it was almost not caught instead of being happy it was caught. When the guy who caught it came through, the rest of us made sure to lay on the attaboys. I guess if it was my money I'd get upset sometimes too but i mean Come ON!
Old 11-18-2015, 10:18 PM
Super Moderator

I have a ton of patches laying around. There are two kinds of techs at the dealership... The guys that have patches up both sleeves and the guys that have patches in their junk drawer. I'm a junk drawer guy.

It's always cool to catch something that could potentially save your company a bunch of money. Even if it doesn't result in an attaboy.