Chef's Corner (Hells Kitchen) A forum for all your cooking delights! Post up cooking horror stories, your favorite recipe's, questions, or anything else that relates to what happens in the kitchen!

Man saves family and rack of ribs from house fire

Old 09-03-2015, 03:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 00 Tiburon
Default Man saves family and rack of ribs from house fire

Not many things I would risk dying in a fire for. At least this guy won't go hungry for a while though.

http://www.kmph-kfre.com/story/29942...eo-going-viral

A mother and her 6–year-old son are now recovering in a hospital after a fire ripped through their Fresno apartment early Tuesday morning.

It happened just before 3:00 a.m. Tuesday on Cedar, just south of Bullard Avenue.

Fresno firefighters say the mother and son were able to get out through a back window but they were taken to a hospital after breathing in some of the smoke.

KMPH Fox26 News Photojournalist Ryan Hudgins was at the scene when he was approached by Robert Wright, a resident at the apartment complex.

Mr. Wright says he was barbecuing ribs at the time when he saw the fire next door. “I got my kids first and then I thought about my ribs and I didn’t want to let my ribs burn,” said Wright.

-----------

"I stayed right next door from the thing that happened, man," the Fresno man told KMPH. "I was barbecuing, man. I seen some fire just come all out the window, man. The window busted out, man."

"The only thing I think first, man, 'Make sure those ribs is right,' " Wright said, pointing at the well-done ribs he saved from a charred fate. "I ran over and got my family, man. I (brought) everybody out safely, man. I carried everybody out myself, man … I did that. You feel me?"

After Wright saved his family, he rushed back into the home. He gulped in smoke from next door. But he wasn't after family valuables. Wright stabbed a slab of beef he had cooking and took off.

"I got my kids first. And I thought about my ribs," Wright admitted in a video that's since gone viral. "I didn't want to let my ribs burn and stuff. I take pride in what I do, man. It's like 3 o'clock in the morning. I was hungry man. I was like, 'Put them ribs on there, man.' Some hot links and stuff, man, we got it going and stuff."

Despite being displaced by the fire — which was unrelated to his late-night barbecue binge — Wright was still eyeing dinner by the time the interview ended.

"It was frantic. It was real serious, man," Wright told KMPH. "I'm gonna enjoy this barbecue though, man."