Hyundai Accent Forum The Hyundai Accent Forum. Hyundai's little champ. While the Hyundai Accent and Hyundai Excel may be small, they respond very well to aftermarket modifications and is among the favorites for Hyundai tuners.

transmission oil cooler

Old 07-17-2015, 02:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2011 hyundai accent
Default transmission oil cooler

I hope to tow a SMALL trailer and boat (see attached pic)with my 2011 Accent and want to install transmission oil cooler. Anyone have experience on this? Any general suggestions/comments? I know, I know warranty etc., but I did this years ago with a 1995 Honda Civic hatchback with no problems.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
jon boat 002.jpg (511.1 KB, 1 views)
Old 07-17-2015, 05:46 PM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis 2.0T

You should be ok to pull that without a cooler. Will you be going up and down a lot of hills or will it be mostly flat and smooth? That boat and trailer look to be maybe a couple hundred pounds. Not different than driving around with 2 fat chicks in the back seat!
Old 07-17-2015, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by Visionz
You should be ok to pull that without a cooler. Will you be going up and down a lot of hills or will it be mostly flat and smooth? That boat and trailer look to be maybe a couple hundred pounds. Not different than driving around with 2 fat chicks in the back seat!

Thot so, but wanted confirmation. Will need to watch brakes tho.
Old 07-17-2015, 09:57 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

I had a quick search and it looks like Hyundai have kept up their questionable practice (from the RD days at least) of running the ATF cooler inside the radiator. I recommend people install aftermarket coolers on RD ATF lins as a matter of course, and always observe the "severe duty" schedule of changing the fluid. Running the "cooler" lines through the engine coolant may work in theory, but burnt-brown hydraulic oil at 12,000 miles doesn't lie. The stock ATF cooler on the RD platform was inadequate.

If you're worried about towing your boar with or without fat chicks, change the oil before the trip.
Old 07-18-2015, 04:40 PM

Maybe I'll do that. What is best location for oil cooler, and how do I find which line to attach it to? You have any pics or drawings to help?

BTW, I hope to tow a boat, not a boar. My daughter is an animal srights fanatic, and a vegan as well, and my wife would not approve of chicks in the back seat, fat or not.

Wish keyboards would cooperate and not change species from chicks to pigs. LOL(?)
Old 07-19-2015, 06:58 PM
Super Moderator

ha! I blame lack of sleep.

Anyways it's not rocket surgery. Put the cooler where it will get a bit of airflow.

https://www.google.com/search?site=&..._l=&gws_rd=ssl

You'll need some hoses rated for use with hydraulic oil and a cooler. The better coolers will have some sort of thermostatic control, I'm not sure if there already is one on the transmission.

related: http://www.yotatech.com/f2/transmiss...esults-200965/
Old 07-21-2015, 10:43 AM

Vehicle: MC + RD2 + AW11 + 944 = 4x Win

Originally Posted by Visionz
You laugh but we did a tip with 5 adults from Atlanta to Tampa doing 85+ the entire way. It was a cramped ride, but the MC did it like a boss (way over the weight limit I may add.) The problem is doing this too often wore out the rear shocks really quickly.

I don't think you're going to tax the transmission too terribly unless this weighs more than a couple hundred pounds or as stated prior hills are involved. Fair warning though, the rear will sag a lot! You may want to upgrade the rear shocks. Also is this a Hatchback or sedan?
Old 07-21-2015, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by Tibbi
You laugh but we did a tip with 5 adults from Atlanta to Tampa doing 85+ the entire way. It was a cramped ride, but the MC did it like a boss (way over the weight limit I may add.) The problem is doing this too often wore out the rear shocks really quickly.

I don't think you're going to tax the transmission too terribly unless this weighs more than a couple hundred pounds or as stated prior hills are involved. Fair warning though, the rear will sag a lot! You may want to upgrade the rear shocks. Also is this a Hatchback or sedan?

Hatchback. I expect tongue weight to be 50 pounds or less. Why would this bother shocks?
Old 07-21-2015, 09:01 PM
Super Moderator

Fat chicks bother shocks more than 50lbs tongue weights. I'd worry more about driving well with the trailer attached, than about such a low tongue weight.