Turbo & Supercharge (Forced Induction) Posts regarding Turbochargers, Superchargers and any other method for Forced Induction.

I feel like this isnt a very efficient set up

Old 05-26-2015, 04:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Cobalt Blue Tib
Default I feel like this isnt a very efficient set up

Wouldnt that long of a pipe hinder performance?
Old 05-26-2015, 05:44 PM

Vehicle: 13 Gen Coupe Ult.

The length of pipe will not hinder the efficency of the turbo. It simply will create more lag because there is more volume that the turbo will have to fill up before it starts to create any pressure.

Shorter IC pipes will yield a better throttle response and less lag.

Longer bigger pipes will yield less response more lag.

[/URL]
Old 06-03-2015, 09:05 AM

Vehicle: 2003/Hyundai/Tiburon

There's literally TONS of factors that hinder/help turbo performance. Most of it centers around what turbo your using. Something with a high CFM rating can fill up those pipes with no problem but they can take a while to spool up due to the larger compressor sides. With that said you will find people generally go way to big on the charge pipes and since the turbo has to fill up those pipes along with the engine it can create more lag.

I know I've vastly oversimplified things but imagine trying to pressurize a 3 inch 3 foot long pipe and a 1 inch 1 foot long pipe. Which one will fill up faster? The goal is to properly size the pipes and intercooler for the peak efficiency rating and flow of the turbo your using and engine size you have.