Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Individual throttle bodies setup ( pics and videos )

Old 05-08-2015, 02:38 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 97' Hyundai Coupe
Default Individual throttle bodies setup ( pics and videos )

Hello from Bulgaria motherf*ckers

After the end of the winter I was sure that I don't want to boost my car so I decided to make custom ITB setup.

The first thing was to buy GSXR 1000 k5 individual throttle bodies.

After that I removed the secondary butterflies, leave only one TPS, remove the injectors and so on.

I had some free time so I polished them really good

After that it was time for the thing that I thought will be the most difficult...cut the intake manifold. A lot of stupid people told me that it will be very hard to cut it, but it wasn't that hard at all !!! Bought some silicone hoses and welded a vacuum tank. My car is Map based so I need stable vacuum.

It was time to put it all together. And the final product came very good in my opinion.

Rocking with the new setup after a few beers

It was time to install it and make everything work. TPS, throttle cable...

When everything was done I was concerned that the brakes won't work with this small vacuum tank, but again a lot of guys told me that it will be fine. I was stupid enough to listen to them, cause tuning cars is their full time job !!!

I found out the hard way that the brakes won't work with this setup and I had to find a way to make more vacuum for the brakes. I'm using Apexi Neo so I saw that if use only one vacuum tank the signal for the MAP is not good so I left this small one for the MAP sensor, fuel regularor and the other things that need vacuum. I made another big tank just for the brakes, but the problem was how to bring vacuum to it that will be good enough. The injectors ports were already tapped and I had to to use the once that are behind the butterflies. Cleaned the ports and took vacuum from there with a lor bigger hoses. That way the brakes work perfect and the vacuum for the MAP sensor is steady as f*ck

Also made heat shield for the exhaust manifold.

That is where I'm today, so I need to make airbox for the ITB. Bought velocity stacks, but I found out that using filters on them is not the best idea. My decision is to make airbox with the velocity stacks going in it and put one big air filter on the upper side.

I don't want to copy this setup, cause I don't have space ( because of the big vacuum tank ). I also don't want any more hoses...

My idea is to cut the hood and buy maybe Subaru WRX/Sti hood scoop. It will deliver fresh air directly into the air filter and straight to the velocity stacks.

Thats the project for now and I hope I can finish it next week , cause I'm really busy these days ...

When everything is ready me and a friend of mine will tune it with my Apexi Neo, wideband and monitoring the knock sensor.

Any ideas and comments are welcome even negative, cause they can bring positive effect on my car

Here is the only video that I have for now. This is the first start

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfLj-D2IGm8
Old 05-08-2015, 03:15 PM

Vehicle: MC + RD2 + AW11 + 944 = 4x Win

Nice!

I bought a set of these on ebay last summer but hadn't yet modded them. You beta ( ) me to it.

Since I plan to run mine on MAF with boost, I am working on a dual plenum to feed them with shorter/fatter runners.
Old 05-08-2015, 03:27 PM
Banned

This sounds interesting

For me it will be very easy to slap 4 small air filters, but the gains are not that good. On N/A engine everything counts
Old 05-08-2015, 09:10 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

I'm interested to hear how you like the setup. It's interesting and different at least.
Old 05-08-2015, 09:21 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

Have you considered using an electric vacuum pump for the brakes?

http://www.jegs.com/c/Brakes-Drivetr...92704/10002/-1
Old 05-09-2015, 12:49 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Tuscon

Props for the work and outcome. Car sounds nice too

You'll still wish you had boost after a while though :biggrin:
Old 05-09-2015, 02:08 PM
Banned

187sks I will give update as soon as I test drive the tibby

Stocker I was thinking about it , but decided to use the vacuum from the engine as I wrote.

Sr tech I'm afraid that you are right but I can still boost it with ITB and it will be even better in my opinion

Thank you guys for the possitive comments and sorry for my english... I know it's far from perfect...
Old 05-11-2015, 08:46 AM

Vehicle: MC + RD2 + AW11 + 944 = 4x Win

Are you planning to put a scoop on the hood to feed them? When I had my 944 running I had a 937 scoop modded just to feed the TBs so they breath(ed) fresh air. It makes a big difference!
Old 05-11-2015, 09:11 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 01 Tiburon Turbo, 99 Tiburon F2E, 2013 Avalon XLE Touring

The issue with ITB's is individual port tuning and low throttle driveability. Unless you have a standalone that could adjust injector pulses per cylinder.....

It's cool to see this running. I just hope the motor survives.
Old 05-11-2015, 02:04 PM
Banned

Tibbi you can see in my first post I said that I want to put hood scoop

JonGTR as for now there is no problem with the low throttle driveability. That's the only way the car has been driven since I installed the ITB. By driving I mean a little drive in my neighbourhood

Because I need the car and I don't have enough time to work on it I bought 4 cone filters and just installed them.

I'm waiting for my tuner to call so we can tune it...hopefully we can do it this week !!!

I know airbox is better , but this is my solution for now. After a month or so I will put airbox 100%. The good thing is that I will see the difference by myself. I will 100% dyno the car with open velocity stacks, airbox and cone filters. Will post the results, cause this days if you don't have pics, videos or dyno graph it didn't happen

Here is a 60-140 km/h video with passenger in the car. That's with the new exhaust and no ITB.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cqq3V1tASY4[/media]

Some interior upgrade

Bought Yokohama A038 semi slick with treadwear 60