Computers, Gaming, & Technology Here you can talk about anything with circuit boards, or dilithium crystals, or flux capacitors. Show off your technology, computing, and gaming knowledge.

Would you buy a phone with no removable battery?

Old 05-04-2015, 03:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Tib
Default Would you buy a phone with no removable battery?

Was talking to a friend and he said in the new S6 you can no longer remove the battery. little search and sure enough MOST new phones (Nexus/Motorola/LG etc) all have non removable batteries.

I guess from a business case, that makes sense. Battery dies and client has a buy a new one.

but from consumer standpoint, sorry but I would never buy a phone like that. I read few articles that say that it's for "slimness" reasons.....what a bunch of BS

I guess this is the wave of the future now?

Thanks Apple? Or I should say thanks public for purchasing such devices (although it seems like they don't really give you a choice at this point).
Old 05-04-2015, 07:25 PM

Vehicle: 2003 Tiburón GT

My last 3 phones have non-removable batteries. I haven't had any problems with that. Granted all of them have huge batteries so running out of power was/is not an issue.

Phones were

LG G Flex

OnePlus One

Currently

Motorola Nexus 6
Old 05-04-2015, 09:08 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

^ this

If a phone lasts a normal person a day and they charge it at night, and they upgrade every couple years, why would you make a phone they can change the battery? Nobody except dinosaurs like me change batteries anyway - people buying new phones may very well not be the target demographic for replaceable batteries. It's not like you can fix anything else on the phone and keep your warranty.
Old 05-05-2015, 04:22 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Tiburon

Phones lock up sometimes and its good to have one where you can remove the battery and do a hard restart. I dont like the all in one option but like the OP said, it seems that the industry is moving that way.
Old 05-08-2015, 08:52 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

My provider's only phone options have non-removable batteries. I've made it work but I'm not happy about it.