Turbo & Supercharge (Forced Induction) Posts regarding Turbochargers, Superchargers and any other method for Forced Induction.

Cheap turbo setup

Old 04-17-2015, 06:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon RD1 1998
Default Cheap turbo setup

Whats up guys? Finally i found a great forum with a lot of tib users who can help me and share a lot of knowledges. First of all sorry for my english.

I actually thinking very seriously on making my rd1 turbo'ed. The thing is: im searching for a cheap option minimum reliable for a daily drive with stock internals. Talking about power goals i will be happy with at least 200hp.

So i guess it should be enought with a little turbo at 7/8 psi.

What do you think guys, i found that bolt on kit with a lot of things. I know the ebay turbo kits aren't recomended but its for a basic setup at really low bost so will be good if u guys can verify me if its enought for 200/250hp:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-485hp-Tu...35433391&rt=nc

I want to mention that i dont wanna make a lot of modifications to fit all the turbo on the car, cause here on spain that kind of works are very expensive. So that kind of bolt on kits can save me some euros very needed hahaha.

I'm really excited about the project cause once is done i will be probably the only spanish rd1/2 turbo'ed. Very sad about the look and use of that cars on my country. I really want to make a decent tiburon.
Old 04-17-2015, 08:32 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 01 Tiburon Turbo, 99 Tiburon F2E, 2013 Avalon XLE Touring

That's a universal kit and not designed for the Tiburon except for maybe the exhaust manifold. You'll still need to do a lot of fabricating which is not limited to cutting and welding. It might all go together at first, but I'd expect leaks and breaks along the way. You'll probably end up replacing almost everything in time.

I would do as much research as possible and build a kit from scratch using higher quality parts. IF all you want is 200hp, then maybe you can skip using an intercooler and just plumb the turbo straight to the throttle body. That would cut out a lot of work.

The kit also does not mention an ECU or tuning. You'll need to figure that out.
Old 04-17-2015, 08:51 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

fast cheap reliable

pick 2
Old 04-18-2015, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by JonGTR
That's a universal kit and not designed for the Tiburon except for maybe the exhaust manifold. You'll still need to do a lot of fabricating which is not limited to cutting and welding. It might all go together at first, but I'd expect leaks and breaks along the way. You'll probably end up replacing almost everything in time.

I would do as much research as possible and build a kit from scratch using higher quality parts. IF all you want is 200hp, then maybe you can skip using an intercooler and just plumb the turbo straight to the throttle body. That would cut out a lot of work.

The kit also does not mention an ECU or tuning. You'll need to figure that out.

Sorry about my ignorance but i check that this kit only fits on a few coupes and elantras so is definetly not generic. As i said i need something as most bolt on is posible. Anyway i dont know what kind of "quality" i need to reach to avoid blowing the setup a few weeks/miles after the mount on the block. Still thinking that 7/8 psi on a small turbo is a really LOW LOW boost so a basic stage 1 for 1 grand (1.3k for me with shipping) couldn't be that bad.

If there isn't a decently bolt on setup i definetly need help from someone who can help to decide the parts i need to buy and the average quality of the setup..
Old 04-18-2015, 05:20 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 01 Tiburon Turbo, 99 Tiburon F2E, 2013 Avalon XLE Touring

And as I said, the only thing bolt-on is the manifold. Those manifolds are thin and crack. The rest must be cut to fit, drilled, and welded. Where's the intercooler mounting brackets? Where's the ECU? Where's the injectors? Where's the fuel pump? You're going to need all this to run 7psi. That kit doesn't have it.
Old 04-18-2015, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by JonGTR
And as I said, the only thing bolt-on is the manifold. Those manifolds are thin and crack. The rest must be cut to fit, drilled, and welded. Where's the intercooler mounting brackets? Where's the ECU? Where's the injectors? Where's the fuel pump? You're going to need all this to run 7psi. That kit doesn't have it.

And what do you think about that one?:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tiburon-1-8L...9ff6af&vxp=mtr

it literally says: "Your car will gain 100-150HP if you set at 7-15PSI.Customers require upgrade the fuel pump,injector and ECU to tune the car if you set at higher PSI.This kit can max up to 350HP." So if it says the truth i can run only with that, and in this kit the manifold is labeled as OBX, (i guess i a decent label)
Old 04-21-2015, 07:52 AM

Vehicle: 2003/Hyundai/Tiburon

Like Jon said, the ebay kits are missing any sort of fuel or ignition timing solution. At the minimum you will need some way to add more fuel to adjust for the boost pressure. If you keep the boost low like 6-7 psi you might get away without having to control ignition timing but you will have to run the highest RON/Octane gas you can get a hold of over there to keep from blowing your engine to pieces.

You will also NEED to figure out how your going to add more fuel to your engine. That either means bigger injectors or extra injectors and both need some way to control them. Figure adding about 800-1000 USD to the price of that ebay kit to get it working right. Here's basics on what you'll need plus that kit:

Someone to fabricate an exhaust downpipe to mate to your exhaust system from the turbo

Someone to cut/fabricate/weld your generic charge piping to/from the intercooler

Larger or additional fuel injectors/mounts

Some way to control larger or additional fuel injectors and someone to tune it for you

Upgraded clutch to handle the power