Transmission, Clutches, Shifters Posts regarding Transmissions. Clutches, torque converters, shift kits, Gear ratios, Limited Slip Differentals, etc for your Hyundai

Clutch Suggestions

Old 03-24-2015, 02:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon
Default Clutch Suggestions

So, my car has been a bit jittery when starting from a stand-still, and recently seemed like it slipped going from 2nd-3rd. I'm almost 100% positive that I had it in gear and was off of the clutch, as I have never made that mistake before, but I plan on driving it for a bit to see if it does it again. I'm in the process of fixing it up for my little brother, and am only looking for something that has good longevity, and close to stock, maybe a bit more but not less, grip on it. It seems like the most common ones are Clutchmasters and ACT, but I thought I would try to get some opinions on the matter.

It should be noted that I have an 01 Tibby with an early 03 engine in it. I believe the beta block, but before they put some electronic piece by the cams. I still have the factory clutch in it, as well as the factory flywhee. I was looking at getting a fidanza when I do this, butit will depend on how long until the clutch goes on, as well as how much I can save up.
Old 03-24-2015, 02:30 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 01 Tiburon Turbo, 99 Tiburon F2E, 2013 Avalon XLE Touring

I don't recall anyone having problems with the XTD or eCM kits (turbo setups excluded).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Stage-1-Clut...445ca1&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/XTD-STAGE-2-...ffbb94&vxp=mtr

You don't want anything more than a stage 1 or 2 unless you have a turbo or nitrous.
Old 03-24-2015, 03:40 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

Dang, those are much more affordable than I was figuring. The throwout bearing that comes with the Stage 2 XTD, that is the same as the factory one right? I remember reading a post about most clutch kits coming with the same factory sized bearings. Just making sure I won't need to purchase one seperately to avoid any issues.
Old 03-24-2015, 09:24 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Vehicle: 1999 Hyundai Tiburon

So far I've had great luck with my competition clutch. It's technically an eclipse clutch. Can't remember, I believe the RD'S already have a push style clutch? So this one I have ought to work for you. Someone chime in and correct me if I'm wrong.

Anyway, it's holding close to 250 ft lbs. Rough estimate as I think I'm close to 280 whp at the moment. Will put it to the test this summer.
Old 03-24-2015, 10:07 PM
Super Moderator

Vehicle: 14 EGT 2.0

RDs can be converted to use push but they are pull stock I am pretty sure. The XTDs are good if your not pushing power, but dont let the spraypaint fool you. That pressure plate is bone stock. Confirmed by a local clutch rebuilder when we noticed everything was 100% the exact same between stock and that red XTD "high clamp blah blah blah". However, its a great price for a stock kit either way. That kit with a flywheel is a bit crazy cheap compared to the last clutch I bought for the genesis.

I love the ACT that sits in my XD to this day, but its not cheap. I think you are looking at 350 without a flywheel.
Old 03-25-2015, 05:56 AM

Stock is pull type. You don't want to convert unless over 300whp.
Old 03-25-2015, 07:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Vehicle: 1997 Beta Swapped Accent

JonGTR is there an "easy" way to make that conversion?
Old 03-25-2015, 08:18 AM

You can locate Denis and buy his kit. It's a very easy swap.

https://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/f...ch-conversion/
Old 03-25-2015, 09:04 AM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Vehicle: 1999 Hyundai Tiburon

Thanks Jon. Couldn't remember if the older setup was push or pull. I believe I have an 03 elantra trans in the car now.

Anyway, The conversion is very easy. After seeing a friend with a pull style clutch have countless problems with the throw out bearing coming loose from the fork, I'd do the push conversion regardless. That will never happen with a push style clutch.
Old 03-29-2015, 11:11 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

pull style is easier to drive. requires less effort. plus if you are having someone else install the clutch they wont warranty it if its a "custom" install (which the push conversion will be even though its using OEM parts)

id stick with a stockish clutch if you dont intend on modding it much