Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Need help with HID install

Old 03-20-2015, 09:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon
Default Need help with HID install

So I ordered some H7 HID's to replace the low bulbs on my 01 tiburon. I unscrewed the back of the low bulb housing and all I see is a two wire hookup to the bulbs (yellow and black I believe). There's no connector though...so does that mean you have to cut the wires off the bulb and hard wire them to the HID ballast? The wires were tight, and I couldn't pull them out of the bulb or housing anywhere. The HID ballast has typical 9006 type wiring harness.

Or do you have to pull the whole headlight out to fish the wiring connector out of the headlight housing?

I've never done a wire yourself HID kit like it appears the Tiburon requires. My other vehicles are just plug and play with typical 9006 wiring harnesses.
Old 03-20-2015, 11:21 AM

Vehicle: MC + RD2 + AW11 + 944 = 4x Win

If recollection serves, the kit I had included blade connectors on the ballast input lines. Unplug the stock headlight, plug the blade connectors into stock socket. Then the line from the ballasts to the bulbs just plugs into the HID bulb. All that's left is to cut a hole for the rubber grommet in back plastic cover and find a spot to hide the ballast, and that's pretty much it.
Old 03-20-2015, 01:39 PM

Okay, maybe I wasn't pulling hard enough on the bulb connector. I was scared to pull too hard in case it shattered the bulb (and there wasn't enough wire slack to take the bulb out with the wire connector still on). I wasn't sure if the bulb connector was on the bulb itself, or buried somewhere down below the headlight where the wires ran. I'll try pulling harder on it...I thought it should be mighty easy...
Old 03-20-2015, 02:37 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 01 Tiburon Turbo, 99 Tiburon F2E, 2013 Avalon XLE Touring

IIRC, the bulbs have metal retainers on them. You need to take those off, then the bulb comes off.
Old 03-23-2015, 11:31 AM

Got them figured out, just had to pull the wiring connector really hard to get it off the bulb. HID's look good, I'm surprised the cutoff is pretty dang good...almost a perfectly straight line across. Stock projectors are good!

Thanks for the help