Race Wars This forum is for the members to discuss their races and wins...just remember that you might get called out if you say you beat a Lambo with your stock Hyundai!

Driver Fernando Alonso Forgot 20 Years Of His Life After Crash?!

Old 03-06-2015, 08:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: MC + RD2 + AW11 + 944 = 4x Win
Default Driver Fernando Alonso Forgot 20 Years Of His Life After Crash?!

After crashing his vehicle during pre-season testing, Formula One driver Fernando Alonso is said to have woken up having no memory of the past 20 years of his life.

Quoting a report in the Spanish daily El Pais, The Telegraph writes that Alonso awoke from the crash believing that it was the year 1995.

"I'm Fernando, I drive go-karts and I want to be a Formula One driver,” the 33-year-old two-time Formula One champion is quoted as telling doctors.

Alonso was taken to the hospital on Feb. 22 after crashing into a wall at the Circuit de Catalunya in Barcelona. According to the BBC, the McLaren driver was briefly “unconscious when rescue crews reached him” and was in a “confused state” when he awoke.

fernando alonso crash

Fernando Alonso of Spain and McLaren Honda receives medical assistance after crashing during day four of Formula One Winter Testing at Circuit de Catalunya on February 22, 2015 in Montmelo, Spain.

Alonso has since been released from the hospital.

Ron Dennis, the McLaren chairman, said last week that Alonso suffered retrograde amnesia post-crash, which is said to not be unusual in patients who have suffered from a severe concussion.

A few days after the accident, Alonso released a video on YouTube in which he assured fans that he was "completely fine.” His accident, however, is causing him to miss the season-opening Australian Grand Prix.

It remains unclear if doctors will clear Alonso to participate in the second race of the season in Malaysia, which will take place at the end of March. Both Alonso and McLaren have said that the driver intends to participate in the race.

“All we can say is that he is making good progress, and that we hope and expect he will soon be back to his brilliant best,” said a McLaren spokesperson, per The Telegraph. "We understand the media's thirst for further information, but, as I say, the remaining unanswered questions will be answered by doctors, not by Formula One personnel."

This really miserable news if real!

He is an amazing driver and deserves to be back in the cockpit. But if this is true then it's most likely the end of his career. Even if he has recovered there will always be the fear of permanent brain damage. I am hoping for the best. What a tragedy for him personally. That must be torture.

Between this and Bainchi's ongoing issues, this does not bode well for the future of open cockpits in F1. They have been toying with the idea for a long time, but this could a turning point for the sport. Albeit better or worse, only time will tell.