Transmission, Clutches, Shifters Posts regarding Transmissions. Clutches, torque converters, shift kits, Gear ratios, Limited Slip Differentals, etc for your Hyundai

Clutch Masters Twin Disk Clutch Kit

Old 02-17-2015, 05:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 1998/Hyundai/Tiburon FX
Default Clutch Masters Twin Disk Clutch Kit

Trust me it is .

Glad to hear your motivated to start working on the car again!! I just pulled the trans this morning and used a junk trans to get the throw out bearing to crankshaft measurement for Clutchmasters. I just cut out a big section of the bell housing so I could get my hands in there to measure it lol.

So after talking to Clutchmasters (forwarding them the required measurements), they are building me a twin disc! He said they've already got the dimensions on the 2.0L 1998 Tiburon flywheel (he had me confirm the center bore diameter since they changed with engine size and year and it seems hard to pinpoint when the change took place). So what they are going to do us utilize the flywheel they used to make (they don't sell one anymore due to the center bore confusion) for the Tiburon and put a smaller friction plate on it (7.25" instead of 8.50) then bolt up their 725 twin disc to it! He assured me there was no chamfer on the aluminum like our fidanzas, so there will be aluminum backing the entire friction disc (I was worried the center wouldn't be backed due to the chamfer, but apparently their flywheel doesn't have a chamfer in the center.

Total cost with shipping was a bit pricey, but comparable to the setups they sell for other similarly sized engines: $1550+shipping.

Now if the guy from PAR would just respond so I can get my inernals shipped out!

Good luck sourcing your oil leak!

Old 02-17-2015, 05:53 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 01 Tiburon Turbo, 99 Tiburon F2E, 2013 Avalon XLE Touring

Uh, so are you working out a group buy price?
Old 02-17-2015, 07:14 PM

Unfortunately I didn't think about asking that question until after I had already paid for it

Honestly I don't think we'd get a discount with 2-3 buyers. It should however open the door for those who want a twin disc setup. I'll obviously take some photos and post up some info once I install it.

Oh and it should be shipping out before the end of the week!

Debating on sending out the internals from the trans I've currently got from a 98 tiburon (its from a junkyard with 250,000 miles on it) or getting one with lower miles. I'm also wondering which case would be the most durable (Tiburon or Elantra & what year). Any suggestions?
Old 02-17-2015, 07:23 PM

Well, please be sure to post up all the contact info of who you talked to and any kind of measurements that might be relative. If they don't make these shelf items, I'd like to get in touch with the same people again. As soon as my car is driveable, I'll make the purchase.

Perhaps it's better this way. You can be the guinea pig.
Old 02-17-2015, 08:26 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Hyundai Accent

Any chance that we can get the twin disk setup made into it's own thread to make it more accessible for other users?

Also, this would be for the push style conversion, correct? If that is the case, we should be able to use any flywheel or did I not read that right?

As for the bore diameter changes, it went from 41mm to 38mm and I believe the change was around 99.
Old 02-18-2015, 05:49 AM

Topic split.
Old 02-18-2015, 06:16 PM

I'll definitely post up the information I've got as well as feedback and picture of the setup

Here is my initial e-mail communication to Luis at Clutchmasters:

Hello Luis,

It was good speaking with you and I look forward to making progress on a twin disc for my 1998 Hyundai Tiburon with a 2.0L engine and push-clutch conversion. I pulled the trans from the car this morning. I took a junk trans case (internal damage) and cut a large hole in the bell housing to allow measurement of the proper gaps with the TOB and clutch fork installed.

Here are some measurements that I took that should help you determine what needs to be done to make a twin disc setup that will work for me:

-Total clearance from throwout bearing contact surface to crankshaft flange: 2.250" (I'm worried this may be too narrow, perhaps we can gain some space with a thinner throw out bearing? Either that or I can have a transmission spacer machined to gain some clearance.).

-Current flywheel and clutch assembly height (from the flange on the flywheel that mates to the crankshaft to the throw out bearing contact surface on the fingers of the pressure plate): 2.200". (This measurement was taken with the clutch disc in place and the pressure plate torqued onto the flywheel.) I recall there being nearly no play between the TOB and pressure plate after the initial installation of this setup. So the total height of whatever you have manufactured cannot be taller than this number unless we do a different TOB or I get a trans spacer plate made.

-Flywheel ring gear diameter: 10.6875. I can get the tooth count if required, however I'm assuming you will have this information as you manufacture a flywheel for this car already.

-Flywheel center bore diameter (part that slides onto crankshaft): 1.608"

-Crankshaft machined lip that fits into the above listed bore on flywheel: 1.612" Its a tight fit.

-Depth of this bore in flywheel: 0.213"

-Total TOB height (from clutch contact surface to retention tab for clutch fork)t: 1.475"

-TOB bore diameter: 1.257"

-TOB bore depth: 1.050"

-Spread on TOB where clutch fork slides onto it: 1.800"

-Width on TOB for clutch fork fingers: 0.470"

I've attached a photo of the throw out bearing that is used for my push-type conversion. There is a valeo part number that should be visible that may help you determine its dimensions.

I'm assuming you'll also have the bolt spacing of the flywheel and the center bore diameter as well as the spline diameter, pitch and tooth count for the clutch discs. If you need more information about input shaft length and protrusion please let me know as I can easily measure it.

Enough measurements for you? :biggrin:
Old 02-18-2015, 07:10 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

but seriously, refer to this post for information about the crank snout diameter switcheroo

https://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/f...ost__p__541075

I'm about 99.9% sure to never get one and I'm still excited that this looks like it is going to be a thing after all these years
Old 02-19-2015, 08:32 AM

Did they mention the estimated torque rating on this?

Also, did they mention anything about the added pedal pressure? I'm wondering if the clutch pedal/rod and slave cylinder will hold up. My rod and knuckle was about to fall apart before I caught it.
Old 01-15-2016, 09:52 PM

Vehicle: accent

Hey what ever happened to this twin disc setup? I need one for my beta2