Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

NEW PROJECT!!

Old 02-11-2015, 08:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2003/Hyundai/Tiburon
Default NEW PROJECT!!

So yeah...its been a while since I've posted. Some maybe remember me as dmdicks on other forums and that I had an 03 2.0L Tiburon with a fully built and boosted engine making over 400whp. Well that got totalled by a 16yr old 4 years ago, but the engine still lives on in a members RD Tib.

Anyways, I fairly recently picked up another 03 Tib for under a grand and have been slowly fixing everything wrong with it. The engine was nackered so I've dropped in a stock replacement I picked up for 300 USD. My plans so far are to see how much I can squeeze out of the stock engine running E85. I will be staying N/A at first and see what she does on the track. I'll be using and new Piggyback from Perfect Power called SMT-FX. It can control fuel and ignition timing. The cool part is it intercepts the injector pulses, like the AEM F/IC, but isn't limited to only retarding ignition. It comes with Male and Female injector connectors so no cutting/splicing needed!

So that's it for now, feel free to lay any questions on me!!
Old 02-11-2015, 09:06 AM

Vehicle: MC + RD2 + AW11 + 944 = 4x Win

Need some pics tho.
Old 02-11-2015, 09:30 AM

Well not much to see yet. Here's a before pic..lmao
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Tib.jpg (224.4 KB, 6 views)
Old 02-11-2015, 11:19 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 01 Tiburon Turbo, 99 Tiburon F2E, 2013 Avalon XLE Touring

Welcome back!

Kind of shocked about your plans, but knowing you, you'll scrap the n/a plans and boost the crap out of it.

Why the GK? I know you had one before, so I'm assuming it's because of sentimental reasons. But the RD is much lighter, or I could even have pictured you in getting an old Accent.
Old 02-11-2015, 01:06 PM

Funny story is that I already have/had another project car. An 86 Celica GTS that I rebuilt the engine on. Now that thing is LIGHT! lol

As for the GK, I always loved the shape and style of that car. Ever since my old 03 was totalled there had been a kind of hole in my heart. I know, I know, sappy..lol. Sue me.

I saw this one on Craigslist for 900 bucks with blown engine and I had to go check it out. Turns out was a car bought from the same lot I bought my original from plus its the same color and even has the same lame pinstripe the dealer puts on. LOL!! This one is a fully loaded GT model though so at the time was way out of my price range. Also I've always been curious what I could do with the V6 motor. I've done bolt ons with others GTs but now that I have one to play with I wanna see what I can do with it.
Old 02-11-2015, 01:51 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 01 Tiburon Turbo, 99 Tiburon F2E, 2013 Avalon XLE Touring

Ugh! I could have given you my 05 GTV6 for dirt cheap. I broke the timing belt, so I gave it to the dealer for $0. All it needed was the heads replaced, or valves. Otherwise, I kept it nice.
Old 02-11-2015, 10:35 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Vehicle: 1999 Hyundai Tiburon

Welcome back old timer! Looking forward to seeing this become the next beast, as we ALL know it will eventually become one!!

Can't wait to see it in person man!
Old 02-12-2015, 05:58 AM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis 2.0T

Very nice! For under a grand, that thing looks like it's in mint condition exterior wise.
Old 02-12-2015, 06:24 AM

Well, I wouldn't say 'mint' per se. Previous owner had a fairly bad wreck on passenger side front and looks like he took it to the 'ghetto-fab' repair shop to avoid an insurance claim. I mean they painted right over the OE paint w/o any prep. LOL. Man even Earl Schieb or Maaco doesn't do that bad of a job.

I fully expect to not keep it N/A forever but before I boost it I want to see what I can do with the stock motor N/A. When the impulse to boost does eventually take over I was thinking of developing a true 100% bolt on single turbo system that replaces the front manifold/cat.

TibbyTib! When we gonna take your car, and my former beast of an engine, to the track!! I prefer to turn right/left, but I'd be willing to endure some drag strip launches just to see that thing fly!! LOL
Old 02-15-2015, 04:28 PM

Vehicle: 2000 tib

E85 on a N/A Tib built by dmdicks...Another build to follow now