Braking, Wheels, Tires, Suspension Modifications to Brake Rotors, Calipers, Wheels, Tires, Springs, Struts, Coilovers, Swaybars, Strut Tower Braces, etc.

Anyone buy whiteline lca bushings? J2/RD

Old 01-31-2015, 02:09 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Elantra GLS
Default Anyone buy whiteline lca bushings? J2/RD

I have some really bad wheel hop. I had solid steel front and rear mounts but they didn't help THAT much. So I installed new lca bushings (rear position) but they are REALLY soft, so they didn't help at all.

Which brings me too, has anyone bought Whiteline W52417 poly front lower control arm inner rear bushings? And are you satisfied with your purchase?
Old 02-01-2015, 08:19 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

I don't know your car, but I do know mine, and I suspect mine would have less wheelhop if it had struts that weren't totally used up. Do you have fresh-ish shock absorbers?
Old 02-02-2015, 03:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: X3 Sprint, S-Coupe Turbo

Wheel hop will happen on every single car, no exceptions. Although yes, if your shockies are blown that's not helping things. Also, what wheels and tires are you running?
Old 02-02-2015, 11:58 AM

New struts about 10k miles ago, Monroe OESpectrum. New control arms 15k ago. OEM mounts a couple weeks old. 1.5 inch lowering springs. 14x6 alloys with 195/60r14 shitty Dayton Daytona SR 500tw garbage. Hops really bad in 1st and into 2nd. Some torque steer too.
Old 02-02-2015, 02:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: X3 Sprint, S-Coupe Turbo

2nd gear wheel hop??? I didn't know the J2 had enough beans to spin up second.

Anyway this doesn't add up. I've driven tens of variants of this car and x3s also, none of them had what you would call bad wheel hop. Maybe it's time to look at things like wheel bearings, strut top rubbers, ball joints, and your use of the clutch.
Old 02-02-2015, 10:00 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by 2000J25SP
195/60r14 shitty Daytona Dayton 500tw garbage. Hops really bad in 1st and into 2nd

You have a traction problem and "shitty" tires. You don't say. ...at least I'm guessing that's the name of a tire because 100% of google results are about the race...

With an automatic, my car could barely break traction in first. With the manual, it will spin through most of first and at least a bunch of second. I haven't really tried to push it, more of an "oops, spinning tyres" type lesson when I changed the transmission.
Old 02-03-2015, 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by wheel_of_steel
2nd gear wheel hop??? I didn't know the J2 had enough beans to spin up second.

Anyway this doesn't add up. I've driven tens of variants of this car and x3s also, none of them had what you would call bad wheel hop. Maybe it's time to look at things like wheel bearings, strut top rubbers, ball joints, and your use of the clutch.
still on the original wheel bearings at 180k miles. They aren't noisy so I never really thought about changing them. I should probably check them out again. I installed new strut mounts with the new struts. The new control arms came with new ball joints. And "use of my clutch"? I don't need to use the clutch to break traction in 1st.

But anyway, those stock lca bushings (rear position) are really soft. Which causes the toe to change under hard acceleration which causes wheel hop. I will probably buy the polyurethane bushings eventually.

And yes I have crappy tires on my car right now. So it SHOULD be able to spin them smoothly and easily. But it starts to hop before it will so much as chirp a tire. I want to correct this problem before trying to mask it with stickier tires. I will upgrade when these tires wear out.

Btw Stocker, they are Dayton Daytona SR tires, since you felt the need to Google them for whatever reason.
Old 02-16-2015, 07:03 PM

I bought the Whiteline W52417 bushings listed for 97-01 Tiburon. They don't even come close to fitting.
Old 02-16-2015, 07:51 PM
Super Moderator

it sucks that they don't fit but thanks for reporting back.

Wheelhop = wheelspin with some fun suspension dancing thrown in. It sounds like you already know what you need to replace.

1.) Acceleration begins with good grip.

2.) The wheels move forward, toe changes, and available grip is reduced. Wheelspin occurs.

3.) During wheelspin, acceleration is very small. The wheels move back again, toe changes back, and the tire regains grip.

4.) Acceleration begins again, and the process repeats itself.

(http://www.mc2racing.com/tech/20061012a/)
Old 02-16-2015, 07:56 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 01 Tiburon Turbo, 99 Tiburon F2E, 2013 Avalon XLE Touring

I don't think I saw anything about an alignment after all the new stuff was added. Make sure your camber and TOE is correct and get a spec sheet from them afterwards to verify.

New OEM LCA bushings should be enough to cure the problem with a good alignment. (assuming factory powertrain)