Automotive News & Other Vehicle Discussions A forum for discussions pertaining to other vehicles other than Hyundai's, Press Releases, new model lauches and general Automotive news.

Tesla's "Insane Mode"

Old 01-28-2015, 10:17 AM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis 2.0T
Default Tesla's "Insane Mode"

http://www.theverge.com/2015/1/28/79...e-acceleration

Watch people lose their minds when subjected to the Tesla P85D's 'insane' mode

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpaLgF1uLB8

When Elon Musk first showed off the Model S P85D, Tesla's high-end all-wheel-drive electric car, he said that his company wanted to reach the kind of acceleration achieved by the world's greatest supercars. With the help of a dash camera, some unsuspecting victims, and the car's ability to accelerate from 0 to 60 MPH in 3.2 seconds, a P85D owner made a super sweary compilation video to show that Tesla was certainly successful in making its newest model shockingly speedy.

Musk tweeted a link to the video today, showing driver Brooks subjecting family and friends to the new P85D's ludicrous acceleration, causing squeals of surprise, dropped smartphones, and many, many curse words. The latest model of the P85D has two motors, ostensibly designed to help the car in inclement weather, that increase the amount of acceleration the car is capable of. It even has a dedicated acceleration control on the car's large touchscreen menu, that lets drivers select between two modes — "sport," or "insane."

In an industry where most gasoline-powered sports cars can only reach 60 MPH after six seconds from a standing start, Tesla's top-of-the-line car can catch people unaware. But not every P85D passenger reacts with such primal terror — when The Verge's own Josh Lowensohn took to the P85D's passenger seat for a similar jump-start last October, his steely professionalism helped him keep his reaction in check.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QERGldfZA5A
Old 01-28-2015, 03:03 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Vehicle: '14 Ford F-150

Done that.
Old 01-28-2015, 10:31 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

^ and a looong time ago, as well. One of the gags pulled by a guy who had a *modified* street car when my DAD was in college, was to put a $100 bill on the dash and offer passengers the opportunity to keep it, if they could lift their arm and grab it under full acceleration. That was a rare car, and it still is rare to have fast cars. Electric cars are easy to make accelerate quickly, compared to gasoline - and most people aren't ready for it (gas OR electric) . . . so?
Old 01-28-2015, 11:32 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Vehicle: '14 Ford F-150

I mean, I did that in a P85D on Insane. Two weeks ago. That car is nuts.