Photography, TV, Music, Art, & Culture This is an area to discuss anything that has to do with Arts & Cultural items, such as Photography, Paintings, History, Movies, Television, Music, Fashion, etc.

Building a new home theater and looking for some advice

Old 01-26-2015, 01:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: MC + RD2 + AW11 + 944 = 4x Win
Default Building a new home theater and looking for some advice

I just acquired a 55" plasma on super discount (an interim until the 70+ OLEDs come down in price), and my Genesis games have never looked so good.

Spoiler

Derping aside, this coming weekend I am finishing where the previous owners started and wiring for 7.2 surround. I am in the market for a good 7.2 receiver with 4k display output. I also need all 9 speakers: 7 channels and both subs. So what are some speakers products on the market that wont make my wallet all explodey? No more than $150/per for shelf speakers, and floor spqrs I havn't really priced so just value/dollar. I'd like to keep the receiver under $500 as well, any more than that and I might as well go balls deep on 9.2. (I'll go crazy when I build the epic theater room in the basement.) The room itself is well over 1000 sq/ft. I forget the exact dimensions, but huge. Hard wood floors too, so not much carpet to soak sound aside from a 12x15 area rug between the sofas. I don't need deafening power, just crisp, clean ear-gasm for my movie watching experience. So, suggestions?
Old 01-26-2015, 11:05 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Vehicle: '14 Ford F-150

For speakers, I love my Energy stuff. http://www.energy-speakers.com/
Old 01-27-2015, 10:15 AM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Vehicle: 1999 Hyundai Tiburon

I suggest going to best buy or somewhere and listen to a few brands. Everyone's taste is different. When you find what you want, bestbuy will usually price match online retailers.

But, for the record, I really like my definitive speakers. Got them used with blown speakers. I simply rebuilt them to spec. They are great! But if purchased new, can be quite pricey.
Old 02-05-2015, 10:22 AM

Picked up an Onkyo TX-NR626 which apparently does 4K upscaling and all kinds of crazy sh*t. It's got all the inputs one could need for classic gaming and current stuff. I was even able to plug in my BetaMAX and LD. Because obsolete analog tech

Originally Posted by i8acobra
For speakers, I love my Energy stuff. http://www.energy-speakers.com/
I was actually looking at these over the weekend

Originally Posted by tibbytib
I suggest going to best buy or somewhere and listen to a few brands. Everyone's taste is different. When you find what you want, bestbuy will usually price match online retailers.
I've been searching BB and Fry's but due to stuperbowl fever they have been sold solid out of anything worth a damn. To make maters more fun, my local BB doesn't even have a Magnolia corner.

Good input though! Thx Each corner of the room is wired as of last weekend, I just need to run the wire for the subs and sides and I'm on the debate about that config.
Old 02-06-2015, 09:04 AM
Super Moderator

Energy's good stuff. I started with their "Take 5" system when I had an apartment (20 years ago). I've stayed with them ever since. I listen to a lot of EDM at the house and the sub I have can either provide subtle fill or shake the windows depending on my mood.
Old 02-11-2015, 09:50 AM

YEP! Went to a BB with a magnolia corner and had a listen.

Doing a pair of CB-20s in the front corners of the room and a pair of CB10s for the rear and sides. Still debating on the center and subs. I have to measure everything to make sure it fits where I need it.
Old 02-11-2015, 03:23 PM
Super Moderator

You'll like 'em. They don't sell the sub I have any more, but this is the closest one:

http://www.energy-speakers.com/produ...s/?sku=ESW-C10

It's their mid-level 10.