Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

RD2>RD1 Front End Swap

Old 01-21-2015, 11:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Tiburon
Default RD2>RD1 Front End Swap

Hello

I recently purchased a 2001 Tiburon, while mechanically sound it cam with some front end damage. I do not like the exactlly like the front end design. I have done a bit of research and it appears that the swap is fairly simple. Has anyone had any first had involvement doing this swap?

The parts I seem to need from the other threads I have seen would be:

Hood

Headlights

Front Bumper

Radiator support

My question is are there any parts besides the ones I have listed that I would need off of the donor car? Also when people say radiator support I assume they me the entire metal structure off the front of the car correct?

Any advice would be appreciated, seeing as I have to replace most of the front end anyway I figure why not replace it with the more attractive version.
Old 01-21-2015, 01:29 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Vehicle: 1999 Hyundai Tiburon

Not exactly sure of the radiator supports. I believe they are talking about the brackets, which are easy to come by and fairly cheap. but I'm sure someone will chime in to clarify.

Just giving my support as the RD1 is clearly the better looking front end for the RD's.
Old 01-21-2015, 01:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Man I would love to do this...always hated the front end styling on my 2001 tib.
Old 01-21-2015, 09:02 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

Yes, the radiator support is the bigass structural metal piece that connects the entire front of the car from one side to the other. It's not a dinky bolt-in bracket, it's hundreds of spot welds drilled out and re-welded. The entire front of the car must be disassembled including the engine/transmission out.

http://www.automotix.net/usedautopar...FY4AaQodHQsAsQ
Old 01-21-2015, 11:51 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Vehicle: 1999 Hyundai Tiburon

Well there you go, not easy or cheap.
Old 01-22-2015, 06:04 AM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis 2.0T

A lot of people have actually done it. It's more time consuming than costly due to the rad support. But if you can find a totaled RD1 in a junk yard somewhere that has rear end damage, then you could probably take the whole front clip at a pretty cheap cost.

Your other option is to just keep it as an RD2, but look into an aftermarket front bumper and hood that changes the appearance some to something a little more sporty.
Old 01-22-2015, 09:18 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Hyundai Accent

I'd like to chime in real quick and say that the motor/tranny doesn't have to come out to take the core support out. I recently just had my core support replaced on the RD1 and everything was able to stay in the core. Obviously the bottom cross member needed to be unbolted though.
Old 01-22-2015, 07:30 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

At that point you are left with the motor hanging from the (side) mounts. With no support in the front, I'm betting the car droops at least a little with the engine hanging on the fenders. Does it droop crooked, maybe not - but I'd want to make a BUNCH of measurements before declaring it straight and welding the new support into the front of the car!