Hyundai Elantra Forum The Hyundai Elantra Forum. Later models (96-up) of this 4-door share their Beta engines and chassis with the Hyundai Tiburon. Earlier Mistubishi-based Hyundai Elantras (92-95) are perfect candidates for the popular 4g63t motor swap, which turns the Hyundai Elantra into a real sleeper. These characteristics make the Hyundai Elantra a great car for those who want sports car performance with family car flexibility.

Seized caliper

Old 01-07-2015, 05:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Elantra
Default Seized caliper

Anyway to fix a seized up caliper? Had to buy 2 new ones for the front and kept the old ones laying around. One of them has a seized up piston. If I can fix it, I'll keep them as spares or maybe even sell.
Old 01-07-2015, 06:51 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Vehicle: '14 Ford F-150

Originally Posted by Elantra66
Anyway to fix a seized up caliper? Had to buy 2 new ones for the front and kept the old ones laying around. One of them has a seized up piston. If I can fix it, I'll keep them as spares or maybe even sell.

You can soak it in WD40, but if it's seized, the bore is usually damaged.
Old 01-07-2015, 08:19 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

WD-40 is a water-displacing lubricant oil. To separate seized parts, use a penetrating oil instead, or a nasty petroleum-based solvent (depending whether it's rusted or gummed up). I'd say soak in penetrating oil for a week (not like you're in a hurry right), tapping hard with a mallet a few times every day after work. Then try to separate the parts.

I'm betting there will be pitting or worse, and it will have been a learning exercise but without a new set of pistons (at least) there are good odds the calipers are toast.