Hyundai Hybrids Want to drop in a Beta for your Hyundai Accent? How about a 4G63 in your Hyundai Elantra? Maybe a Beta 2 for your Hyundai Tiburon? Post all questions here relating to transmissions and engines from other makes and/or models, you want to install in your Hyundai.

Total cost of doing an LS Swap

Old 12-12-2014, 08:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2011 Genesis 3.8
Default Total cost of doing an LS Swap

Its not common and only a handful of people have actually done this but what kind of general estimate would somebody be looking at from start to turn key finish to do a full LS Swap in their Genny? Parts, labor, tuning, everything.
Old 12-12-2014, 11:07 AM

Vehicle: MC + RD2 + AW11 + 944 = 4x Win

Elenvendy billion dollars!

As someone who's done a few swaps it's mostly going to come down to how much work you can do on your own, how much you are willing to learn and how much is already available for this swap on the aftermarket. I'm sure there's plenty of guys who have looked into this and can provide real numbers.

Just my speculation: The GM LS motors are omnipresent, they are more common than turds in septic sewer.

Another thing to consider, how would you source the motor? Crate engine or junk yard?

Is the expense of the swap even justifiable? Can you make the same power on the stock motor?

What about getting that to the rear wheels, will you use a GM gearbox, aftermarket, or keep the Hyundai unit? Are adapter plates readily available? How will it connect to the rear diff and will that be a GM or stock?

What about "legality"? DO you have any inspections or local laws that would impede the process? How "street legal" do you intend to keep it?

There's a billion things to consider, but either way it's not going to be "cheap" by any account.

That said, the 2UZ I'm currently building is going to cost as much as my Beta has. The UZ has an outstanding aftermarket and the swap is well documented. The Beta required a ton of fabrication and all kinds of custom bits to hold the kind of power I am aiming for even though it's the same kind of motor as the stocker.

IMHO, if you have the kind of cash to do something like this go for a big block and go crazy.

However if this were MY swap, I'd find a Tau and make it look stock, but that costs a lot for not nearly as much power
Old 12-13-2014, 11:38 PM

Vehicle: X3 Sprint, S-Coupe Turbo

if you have to ask...
Old 12-15-2014, 06:34 AM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis 2.0T

From what I have seen from those who have done it, you're looking at a minimum of 5 grand.
Old 01-13-2021, 03:29 PM

Vehicle: 2008 hyundai tiburon

I'm getting a ls1 in my tiburon in about 8 or 9 months (I got a long wait line in front of me) but the shop I'm going to doesnt get his motors from the junk yard, he only installs top quality parts to your desired hp gains. He also does payment options, cause let's face it. Theres going to be a crap load of fabrication, parts that needs upgraded, supports welded in so your frame will be able to handle that LS motor. Your going to need new dash gauges to properly read your motors functions, a whole new braking system for sure, upgraded fuel pump and fuel system to support how much fuel is needed so the engine isnt starved from lack of fuel. Man theres so much extra stuff involved than just swapping out the hyundai motor, (I know I've left out a lot of the process in the swap, but I figured this would give the idea). As I was mentioning in the beginning, my guy that's swapping mine is going to run me 21k, because I'm having him do everything top to bottom on the checklist. Remember, you get what you pay for, and that can turn deadly. Specially if someone dont swap it right and catches fire going down the road..I'm just saying, spend more than 5 grand and have it done right.