Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Fixing my dash??

Old 11-10-2014, 07:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001/hyundai/tiburon
Thumbs up Fixing my dash??

So I was tearing apart the dash looking for my heater core. (If you wanna mention where it's located that would be nice) I cracked the plastic really bad!

So I'm planning to go all out fixing it. I think I'm gonna get it back together with hobby glue. (The stuff from model cars and such) unless someone objects.

After that I'm considering reinforcing this old plastic with fiber glass on the back side....will the resin eat the plastic?

And finally, I'm considering just using rustoleum spray paint with a good primer and laquer clear coat. Is this ok? I saw someone do this on another site but

there's no telling what happened 6 months down the road.

Any suggestions will be appreciated :biggrin:
Old 11-10-2014, 08:08 PM

Vehicle: X3 Sprint, S-Coupe Turbo

In my experience, fiberglass won't stick to the plastic at all. Glue will fail quickly. Ask me how I know.

Spoiler

My plan is to make fiberglass cover to replicate the whole dash, but it's harder than it seems because of the multitude of brackets and fixtures that are part of the dash. I have been searching for over a year and haven't found a single X3 dashboard that isn't already completely brittle and wrecked.
Old 11-11-2014, 07:04 AM

Vehicle: 2001/hyundai/tiburon

Thanks for the input! I put hobby glue in the cracks during lunch yesterday then sanded and applied fiber glass last night. The whole thing seems solid and the fb seems to be sticking. I'm thinking the resin melted the plastic a little bit and so it has helped it adhere.

I'm planning on using Duplicolor vinyl and fabric paint because it's flexible. But what about clear coat? Will a non flexible clear coat crack?
Old 11-11-2014, 09:23 AM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Vehicle: 1999 Hyundai Tiburon

I used bondoglass to make gauge pods. That was 6 years ago. They are holding up fine.