Hyundai Hybrids Want to drop in a Beta for your Hyundai Accent? How about a 4G63 in your Hyundai Elantra? Maybe a Beta 2 for your Hyundai Tiburon? Post all questions here relating to transmissions and engines from other makes and/or models, you want to install in your Hyundai.

Just so I'm clear...

Old 10-13-2014, 11:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: Hyundai
Default Just so I'm clear...

Hey guys, joined this forum just for this. I'm sure the information is all in one thread out there somewhere, but I can't find it - just bits and pieces...

I own an '05 Accent, it's got 220,xxx kms on it, it's a little tired, and the clutch and throwout bearing are on their way out anyway, so I just wanted to know for sure -

The Beta WILL bolt onto the Alpha's transmission. That I understand. As I understand, the Beta will also run on the LC2's ECM, with the exception of a few sensor swaps (and maybe injectors). That all makes it easy on me. I'm also more inclined to either cut or beat on the right side inner fender to make some room for belt changes (I have no P/S or A/C anymore anyway, just an alternator to worry about). When going this route is it essentially modifying the right side engine mount that's the only problem? Is it a 1.6 or 2.0 clutch I have to use for the swap? As I understand it the other 3 mounts are Alpha mounts (should be, if I'm keeping my tranny and all)? Other than an I/H/E combo the 2.0 would be staying stock, there's no real issue with tearing out axles or anything is there?

Sorry for any inconvenience, I've drug up what I could, but I can see this little car being fun with a bit more "oomph."
Old 10-14-2014, 12:44 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

Welcome to the forum!

It has been a while since I helped with one of these, but I will do my best and try to make it obvious where I'm certain and where I'm a little foggy.

Originally Posted by RonaldoReagan
The Beta WILL bolt onto the Alpha's transmission.
Yes.

the Beta will also run on the LC2's ECM, with the exception of a few sensor swaps (and maybe injectors).
As long as you have the 1.6l (or 1.5l DOHC) but not the 1.5l SOHC. I'm not 100% sure which engines were offered in Canada anymore. You want to use your 1.6l crank sensor on the 2.0l. The ISA (Idle Speed Adjustment) plug needs pins 1 and 3 swapped to work with the Beta 2. I THINK that's all that needs re-done.

You want a non-CVVT Beta 2 engine for the swap.

I'm also more inclined to either cut or beat on the right side inner fender to make some room for belt changes (I have no P/S or A/C anymore anyway, just an alternator to worry about). When going this route is it essentially modifying the right side engine mount that's the only problem?...As I understand it the other 3 mounts are Alpha mounts (should be, if I'm keeping my tranny and all)?
The passenger's side engine mount is the only mount that needs modified, especially if you're clearancing the passenger side engine bay. The other mounts are on the transmission. If you're re-centering the transmission to allow for engine clearance you have to slot holes in the transmission mounts and get axles that compensate for this shift.

Is it a 1.6 or 2.0 clutch I have to use for the swap?
I BELIEVE a 1.6l clutch will work. I KNOW a 1.5l S-Coupe clutch will work. I am pretty sure someone used the 1.6l clutch but I can't remember 100%.

Other than an I/H/E combo the 2.0 would be staying stock, there's no real issue with tearing out axles or anything is there?
As long as the transmission is not shifted to allow for engine clearance you don't need new axles.

Sorry for any inconvenience, I've drug up what I could, but I can see this little car being fun with a bit more "oomph."
No worries, keep us updated on the progress!
Old 01-21-2015, 11:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Accent

I would definitely consider using the 2.0 ecu, the 1.6 would make it a tad easier for pinswap and amount of engine codes to deal with, but you wont be getting the full potential of the engine. You will probably have a few wires to extend in the engine bay as well. The non-cvvt is definitely best choice, the 02 elantra has this in Canada.

When it comes to making room, i would consider slotting the mounts a little bit (half an inch or so) along with banging the crap out of the engine bay to give yourself enough room to do belt changes without the need to change axles. I only ended up moving the engine over enough where it wasn't scary close to the side of the bay, i remove my mounts except the driver side and jack up the engine to do that work.

I'm using a 1.6 clutch and throwout bearing in mine with the 2.0 flywheel with no issues, i have the accent tranny as well btw.

No other mounts will have to be changed but make sure you get yourself well made passenger side mount since it will be taking a few more ponies than its originally made for.