Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Is it possible for an engine with electronic fuel injection to flood?

Old 09-29-2014, 04:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Elantra
Default Is it possible for an engine with electronic fuel injection to flood?

My parents used to have a car without it and you would have to pump the gas a few times to get the car to start. With electronic injection, you dont have to do that. But is it possible that an engine with it could still flood? What if you have leaky injectors?
Old 09-29-2014, 10:10 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

Yes. Especially with leaky injectors, which would also lead to fuel in the engine oil and so reduced service life of the engine.

If you go to start an injected engine and don't let it crank long enough so it just-doesn't-quite start, it can have an extra 'crank' worth of gas in the cylinders that will require some more cranking on the next attempt to clear.
Old 09-29-2014, 10:28 PM
Super Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 14 EGT 2.0

Pumping before the start.. you are just moving the throttle plate around. There is no power going to the magnet that draws the pin out of the way to let fuel flow with the key off. After you are turning the key you can flood like Stocker said with a poorly timed key release. I have done that a few times with the genesis for some reason and will leave it a lone for a second before trying again. When it fires up you can tell its not happy about that at all. I have never had it not start and flood out, but letting go too soon = genesis pissed off when it fires up... or sounds it anyway. If the injectors are leaking then you are starting off with too much fuel in there just like pumping away on an older carbureted setup.
Old 09-29-2014, 11:44 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Vehicle: '14 Ford F-150

BTW, you can "clear" a flooded EFI car by holding the throttle wide open and then cranking the motor. This tells the ECU not to open the injectors. This is also useful when doing a compression test on an EFI car since fuel in the cylinder can damage your compression gauge.