Automotive News & Other Vehicle Discussions A forum for discussions pertaining to other vehicles other than Hyundai's, Press Releases, new model lauches and general Automotive news.

Hondas New Civic Type R

Old 09-29-2014, 10:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2011 Gen Coupe V6
Default Hondas New Civic Type R

http://www.carthrottle.com/hondas-la...f-jdm-madness/

Here it is, Honda’s new Civic Type-R concept in all its glory. Look familiar? That’s because on the outside, it’s pretty much unchanged from the last Civic Type-R concept we saw, which was revealed at the Geneva motor show earlier this year. Play a game of spot the difference, and - colour aside - you’ll get frustrated very quickly

However, this concept closely previews the production model, so the fact that all the bits we like - the wide arches, huge vents and that rear spoiler/light cluster combo - are still present is very promising. Plus, some fresh information about what’s going on underneath has also been given.

As expected, it will indeed be powered by a 2.0-litre member of Honda’s new turbocharged VTEC family of engines, with a - still undisclosed - power figure which will exceed 278bhp (up to 300bhp and 300lb ft of torque is rumoured). All that grunt will go through the front tyres, so to make sure the Civic can lay the power down without torque-steering into the nearest ditch, it employs a ‘steer axis’ system. This uses an extra pair of ‘kingpin’ supports in the front suspension to give a tidier power delivery.

On the subject of suspension, the chassis will get a set of adaptive dampers. Punch the ‘+R’ button on the dash, and these dampers stiffen, while the engine becomes more responsive and the weight is added to the steering. Despite the added tech, though, you don’t need to worry about the Type-R sprouting a set of paddle shifters: it’ll stick with a traditional six-speed manual gearbox.

The car is expected to go on sale early next year, competing with the likes of the Renault Megane RS and the Seat Leon Cupra 280 both for sales and track time glory - Honda is eyeing up Renault’s current front-wheel drive Nurburgring record.

Honda isnt playing around anymore. Damn!
Old 09-29-2014, 04:25 PM

Vehicle: 2003 Turbo Tib

Thats a sweet Civic. I would definitely drive it but dont expect to ever see it on US roads.
Old 09-30-2014, 12:18 AM

Vehicle: X3 Sprint, S-Coupe Turbo

-steer axis suspension, a.k.a. revoknuckles, has been around for at least five years now

-adaptive dampers have been around since the 80s

-muh power has been around since the beginning of time

What the press releases won't tell you: it's gonna weigh more than 3000 lbs, it's gonna have some stupid engine sound amplification system, the electric power steering will be absent of feeling, and it's a safe bet that it will be close to double the price of your nearest FR-S or ND miata. Put it in the bin. Any idiot can make stuff bigger and more complicated. How about sticking to the original manic formula instead of building a straight line hamburger car?

Old 09-30-2014, 06:22 AM

Vehicle: 2012 Veloster

I like it but I bet it will have a $30K or more price tag overseas.
Old 09-30-2014, 09:37 AM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Vehicle: 1999 Hyundai Tiburon

That is a sweet civic!
Old 09-30-2014, 01:53 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

Looks cool, in 25 years maybe I'll import one lol.
Old 10-01-2014, 08:14 AM

Vehicle: MC + RD2 + AW11 + 944 = 4x Win

A Honda even I would buy!

Though, it better go back to independent suspension or it's a total waste. IIRC (and correct em if I'm wrong) the current model is a rear beam axle. I personally would rather an unmolested ek9, but this is a car that is going to compete well with the top tier of current hot hatches. Way to go Honda!

As a side note, I still want that K-powered Type R CRZ that was teased. A much prettier car imho, but as a hybrid it's a total heap.