Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

Adrian Peterson Indicted For Beating His Son

Old 09-14-2014, 04:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Tiburon
Default Adrian Peterson Indicted For Beating His Son

So...here we are again. Yet another football player in the news for some form of violent act:

Minnesota Vikings running back Adrian Peterson has been indicted for reckless or negligent injury to a child in Montgomery County, Texas, according to Mark Berman of Fox 26 in Houston.

The investigation, which has reportedly been going on for some time, stems from Peterson disciplining a child with a switch, a source told Ian Raport of NFL Network. A switch is a thin branch or rod used for whipping.

In a police report obtained by Sports Radio 610 in Houston, Peterson admitted that he did "whoop" one of his sons last May. According to the report, the four-year old boy returned to Minnesota with lacerations and bruises that prompted his mother to take him to the hospital. The boy then told the doctor that Peterson had lashed him with a tree branch.

More here.

There are people on both sides of the coin on this subject. Some people are saying we as a society have become too soft and it's not right that he is being prosecuted for disciplining his son. Other people are saying he went overboard and beat his son ruthlessly. What do you guys think? I was hit as a kid, and I know many other kids who were too. We all turned out fine and I think it's bad if parents are going to be sent to jail for smacking their kids these days. But there probably is a fine line between disciplining and abusing.
Old 09-14-2014, 05:05 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Vehicle: '14 Ford F-150

I'm all for physical punishment, but for me the line is pretty clear. If you draw blood, you crossed it.
Old 09-16-2014, 08:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: MC + RD2 + AW11 + 944 = 4x Win

If he hit him across the face with it, that's clearly out of line. But a good old fashioned whoopin' involves object to ass contact. Butts are designed to take a lot of abuse. The kid will be fine, in fact arguably better off for being disciplined. Based on this info alone I'm going to say it's a bullshit charge, but I'm not about to look into this any further to make a batter decision.

As a side note: I have watched a parent get full on arrested for a simple open-hand, child colthed, singe swat in public. So this is really isn't a surprise.