Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

9 year old girl accidentally kills gun instructor with Uzi

Old 08-31-2014, 04:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Tib
Default 9 year old girl accidentally kills gun instructor with Uzi

http://www.cnn.com/2014/08/26/us/ari...ent/index.html

Thoughts? This is a tragic accident but it's really the instructors own fault. He should not have been standing above her as she shot the gun. An automatic Uzi has some insane recoil. A 9 year old wouldn't be able to handle it.
Old 08-31-2014, 08:54 PM

Vehicle: 2012 mitsubishi eclipse spyder gs, 2001 hyundai tiburon

A 9 year old shouldn't have access to an uzi... period.
Old 09-02-2014, 01:48 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

False.

An instructor should NEVER let ANY student with a light, climbs-on-recoil automatic weapon fire it on automatic for the first time without the instructor holding down on the top of the weapon. EVER. You know why? Because the n00b will be surprised by the recoil and you will either have a nasty surprise, have to live with the guilt of making a fatal mistake and watching your student shoot themselves accidentally, or you can (as in this case) be shot yourself.

This was a bad case of bad instruction. As a part-time gun safety instructor myself, I watched the video the first time and thought, "you really should have a hand on . . . " and then he was shot.

Fail. Some mistakes, you only get to make one time.
Old 09-03-2014, 09:50 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Veloster DCT w/ Tech

I remember the MA incident discussed as well. The little boy was a CT resident. Is it legal, sure. Do I agree with it, not at all. It's one thing to be experienced with firearms and to go out and try something "fun" and new, but completely another to be like, "Hey. An automatic weapons firing range. Let's give it a shot!" Sad to see, and I hope the girl and all involved are able to get through this ok.
Old 09-04-2014, 12:15 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Vehicle: '14 Ford F-150

Dude was a dumbass. She was shooting right handed, so he should have been on her right side. The proper way for someone that small to fire a weapon like that is for an adult to stand behind them, reach around both sides with both hands on the weapon and allow the child to squeeze the trigger while the adult maintains control of the weapon. Any other way is 100% wrong. No, this won't allow a 9-year old to learn the proper way to fire a fully automatic weapon. No, a 9-year old child has zero need or reason to know how to fire a full auto. No, a 9-year old does not have a 2nd amendment right to bear arms.
Old 09-23-2014, 12:52 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

The guy made a terrible mistake and paid for it. The instructor was exactly where he (very predictably) should not have been.

While I'm ok with the idea of letting a 9 year old fire an Uzi in a controlled situation, I do not feel that this was a controlled situation. I also would neither be willing to instruct a 9 year old on firing an Uzi, nor let my own 9 year old child fire an Uzi.