Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

White House nudging carmakers to make crash-proof cars

Old 08-19-2014, 10:04 AM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis 2.0T
Default White House nudging carmakers to make crash-proof cars

The Obama administration says it's taking the first step toward making future cars and light trucks less likely to crash.

The White House is asking the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration to begin drafting rules to require anti-crash technology in new vehicles. The technology will let cars warn each other of potential danger in time to avoid collisions. Cars and light trucks will come equipped with a radio signal that will continually transmit a vehicle's position, direction, speed and other information. Other cars with similar equipment will receive the same data and computers will alert drivers to the possibility of a collision.

A NHTSA report says the technology could prevent as many as 592,000 left-turn and intersection crashes a year - saving 1,083 lives in the process.

As long as there are idiots behind the wheel, or old people who have no idea what they are doing...then there will always be collisions.
Old 08-19-2014, 02:55 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Vehicle: '14 Ford F-150

The Obama administration says it's taking the first step toward making future cars and light trucks less likely to crash.

This here demonstrates the problem with America's approach to car safety. Attention gubernments... cars don't crash. People do. We don't need smarter cars. We need smarter people. How do you do this? Stop acting like people have a RIGHT to drive. Stop handing out licenses to anyone that can fog a mirror. If your State budget depends on licensing fees that much, you're doing it wrong. Make it as hard to get a car license as it was for me to get my CDL. Oh and since our traffic signs are in English, that's the only language the test is offered in... and no "large print" version. These measures will cut traffic accidents more than every safety device added to cars since 1990 combined. I'd stake my lifetime's earnings on it.
Old 08-19-2014, 04:52 PM
Super Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 14 EGT 2.0

^- 100% agreed. Finland might be a good place to start/steal from when building a better drivers program.
Old 08-19-2014, 07:35 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

Or maybe require new cars to jam all cell calls to any number but 911, and require driver training in high schools?
Old 08-19-2014, 11:16 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Vehicle: '14 Ford F-150

Originally Posted by Stocker
Or maybe require new cars to jam all cell calls to any number but 911, and require driver training in high schools?

There were bad drivers way before cell/car phones. I know 'cause I drove in those days.
Old 08-20-2014, 09:23 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

Yeah thanks me too. It's gotten worse.