Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

clutch adjustment on 2000 tiburon?

Old 08-18-2014, 06:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 hyundai tiburon
Default clutch adjustment on 2000 tiburon?

i have a 2000 tiburon, is the clutch adjustable? is it only adjustable at the master cylinder? whats happening is i have no play in the clutch and its been slipping from time to time. we had the clutch replaced about 2 years ago, maybe 22k.... help!
Old 08-18-2014, 07:25 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

If you drive in stop-and-go traffic and especially if you feather the clutch a lot, you may have killed it that soon. The pedal is adjustable. The clutch/pressure plate/flywheel parts are not. If you are giving a clutch more power than it will hold, it will slip. If it is glazed it will have less holding power. If you slip the clutch a lot, you could probably manage to glaze one in a single day.

So. How do you drive? Lots of eeeeeaaaasing the clutch pedal to have smooth shifts in LA traffic?

There is a very simple modification you can to get better control over your clutch. Look for slave cylinder restrictor on this site. Basically you unscrew a hose and pull out a tiny little loose part on the slave cylinder. They designed it to engage/disengage slowly for smooth shifts, and many drivers find they prefer to apply the smoothness with their leg instead of a hydraulic restrictor doing it for them all the time. Without the restrictor you can dump the clutch and it will truly engage immediately
Old 08-18-2014, 08:14 PM
Super Moderator

Vehicle: 14 EGT 2.0

22k in traffic could = 100k mostly highway on a clutch. That piece he is talking about slips the clutch for you as you slip the clutch.. so with it in there in lots of traffic; clutch could be shot early. If you want to put some money into a good one I highly recommend the street disc'd ACT setup. I still have one in my elantra outside that has 100k of heavy traffic (Houston) and idiotic driving. Still holding strong.
Old 08-18-2014, 10:23 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Vehicle: '14 Ford F-150

If anyone ever adjusted your pedal, that could have killed the clutch. If the rod is pushing on the master with the pedal all the way up, you could be slightly slipping the clutch all the time. That'll kill it quick.
Old 10-04-2014, 01:21 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

I adjusted my pedal with good results. Just make small adjustments then test.