Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Car took forever to start this morning!

Old 08-04-2014, 08:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon
Default Car took forever to start this morning!

So my 01 Tib took about a dozen tries to get it started this morning. It has a new battery...was giving out 12.5 volts the entire time. Starter sounded good (was cranking over the entire time). Fuel pump was easily heard...and I smelt fuel after pumping the pedal a few times.

I tried starting without any assist. I tried starting after letting the key on to prime the fuel pump for 5 seconds. And I tried starting with pumping the gas pedal. Nothing seemed to work. It just randomly started on the umpteenth try.

Spark plugs and wires are only a year old. A few months ago I cleaned out the IACV and replaced the TPS. What should I check first? Fuel, battery, and starter all seem good. I'm thinking some electrical sensor or a vaccuum line.
Old 08-04-2014, 08:43 AM

Vehicle: 2011 Tuscon

Pull the crank sensor out, wipe the face off, reinstall.
Old 08-04-2014, 08:53 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Vehicle: '14 Ford F-150

Check for codes. Try cranking with the accelerator fully depressed. This shuts off the injectors to clear the cylinders. If you could smell gas and were pumping the throttle (a no-no with fuel injection), you may have flooded it.
Old 08-04-2014, 01:34 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Vehicle: 1999 Hyundai Tiburon

^^Do this first, sounds like you flooded it.
Old 08-04-2014, 01:56 PM

He got it running so flooding it is kind of irreverent at this point.

It initially had a crank, no start and he tried pumping the gas after several attempts of just turning the key. Could he have flooded it during that time? Sure. Not the orginal concern though

What's the most common issue on the beta1s with crank/no start...CKP
Old 08-04-2014, 02:40 PM

Yeah exactly, I never pump the gas pedal noramally, just tried it after 5 minutes of cranking without success. Normally it fires right up after 1-2 seconds of cranking. So I don't think it was a flooded engine problem.

What is the CKP, is that the crank position sensor? Is that the sensor on the driver side of the block below the exhaust manifold?

FYI, it started up just fine 3 more times today since this morning. I will see if the same thing happens tomorrow morning. Oh, and no engine codes were stored or reported (go figure)...
Old 08-04-2014, 02:45 PM

Crank sensor, it's on the block facing the radiator close to the trans. There's a 10mm bolt holding in.
Old 08-04-2014, 04:51 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

The CKP is by far the most likely solution. As for other possibilities was there blue smoke and/or did it run really rough when it did start? Bad valve seals but good rings can cause that. Another possibility is a stuck open purge control valve, although that's usually worst after just filling up not after sitting overnight. It'll cause the engine to "flood" with fumes from the tank.
Old 08-04-2014, 05:07 PM

No smoke or rough running when it finally started. It's ran normal since it got started up this morning. And I last filled up about a week ago, so doesn't seem to be the purge control valve issue.

I'll clean up the crank position sensor tonight and hopefully no more problem! Should I just blast it off with some carb cleaner and wipe it clean?

Thanks all for the help!
Old 08-04-2014, 08:17 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

You might stand by a brass bristled brush in case of rust. You may be able to give it a quick wipe with a towel and its hole also and be done. There may be some surface rust impeding contact and that should be cleaned. Worst case is the wires are fried, so give a look at the harness while you're there.